Chapter 11

a/n either play the song from the start or when you see this symbol ▶️ (I recommend the latter)

lullaby

(Y/N) sighed as she slung her door closed behind her, dropping off her shoes and jacket at the door.  Walking into her kitchen, she absentmindedly opened the fridge, searching for snack before she went to bed.  When she'd grabbed a packet of crisps out of the cupboard, she heard the familiar tone of Skype going off on her laptop. Meandering into her room, she immediately recognised the username and profile picture that lit up her laptop screen.

"Kenma! What are you doing up so late?" she questioned, a large smile lighting up her face.
"I tried to call you earlier but you didn't pick up," the boy explained timidly, "Where were you?"
"No where," (Y/N) answered with a half smile, scratching the back of her neck while shrugging the question off, "You should really get some sleep."
"I know but I can't,"
"Why not?"
"No reason," Kenma lied through his teeth, not wanting to admit he wanted to stay up solely to talk to (Y/N) and had gotten slightly panicked when she hasn't answered Skype.
"Music,"
"Huh?"
"Listening to music always helps me get to sleep," she breathed, she was exhausted and as a result was acting more subdued than usual,
"Good idea," Kenma replied, keeping his voice steady as always, leaning out of frame to grab his ear phones.
"What's that?" (Y/N) asked, pointing at something on her screen causing Kenma to turn around.
"Oh, just my piano," he replied disinterestedly.
"Do you play?" (Y/N)'s usually excitement underlying her voice.
"Yeah, but I'm not very good,"
"Will you play?"
Kenma shook his head in a decided no.
"Please," (Y/N)'s tone was pleading and caused Kenma to look her in the eyes, "For me?"
The boy couldn't resist the look in her eyes, nor did he want to. So he picked up his laptop, positioning it so he could play but she could still see a side view of him as she placed hers so she could lay on her bed and prop her head up on her hands so she could watch him play.

▶️His thin, delicate hands took to the keys like a bird to the skies, flitting gently over the black and white buttons. Lightly playing to create a beautiful sound. Although she didn't want to, (Y/N) felt herself drifting off to the calming and comforting music. The notes warmed her heart, perhaps only because of whom they were being played by. She watched him play, entranced by his concentration and soft precision. As she got closer to sleep, the bi-haired boy started to sing, a floaty, gentle but awe-inspiring noise that left a smile on her face and a flutter in her heart. She watched dazedly, dipping in and out of subconsciousness.

Eventually, the song came to an end and Kenma saw what he's assumed was the girl asleep but she was only on the brink of it. He smiled to himself, seeing the joy in her tired features as he whispered,
"Sleep tight, (Y/N). I'll be here in the morning and for as long as I can after that."

a/n chapter over :) hope you enjoyed