still breathing (part 1)

A loud ringing echoed throughout the apartment, cellphone nearly blinding Aaron in the darkness as she glanced at whom it was, nearly growling in anger. With a press of a finger she answered it, a small part of her happy to hear the person, the rest just plain annoyed over the fact that it was two in the morning, meaning she'd only been asleep for three hours.

"I swear to God John, I'm going to smack you the next time I see you," she grumbled tiredly, shifting beneath her covers, head buried beneath them.

A deep, familiar chuckle came from the other end. "Aye, sorry lass. You know I wouldn't call so early unless it was important. I know how much ya enjoy your sleepin'."

"Damn right you bastard." Aaron yawned loudly, making sure he heard, eyes staying closed as she continued. "So what do you need?"

"A ride for one. And a place to stay for a few days for another. If you're willing to put up with me and my shenanigans that is."

Aaron laughed. "Always am, you know that. Plus, it just means I get to wake myself up by smacking you silly."

"Apparently so," he stated, amused. "So am I going to have to walk from LAX or what?"

"Give me thirty minutes asshole. After all, you just woke me up at ass o'clock in the morning."

He laughed. "See ya soon then lass." He hung up before she could reply.

Aaron groaned as she sat up, stretching and yawning before kicking herself into gear, mumbling 'ass' beneath her breath.

------

She pulled up to the curb, spotting a familiar trench coat wearing man with blonde hair, smoking a cigarette despite the no smoking sign, luggage sitting beside his feet. Aaron rolled down the passenger side window, smiling. "Excuse me sir. I'm looking for my friend. He looks like an asshole who does things he shouldn't do. Sort of like you really."

Lips quirked into a grin, tossing the cigarette to the ground, stomping it out with his boot, hand grasping his bags. "Ha ha. Very funny Ron," he said the moment he entered the car. Aaron took off once he shut the door, turning around to head back to her apartment. "You look good." John commented.

Aaron smiled genuinely, surprising the exorcist. That was a face he hadn't seen in quite awhile. "Thanks. We have much to catch up on Johnny. So much."

"Then why don't ya start?"

------

"Wait, wait, wait. Lucifer, Prince of Darkness, Lord of Hell, is your soulmate?!" he shouted in disbelief. Aaron shushed him, telling him to be quiet because it was three in the morning and people actually slept unlike certain others.

"As I said three times already, yes," she replied, unlocking the door to her apartment, switching on the light as they walked in, closing the door quietly behind him and locking up. John ran a hand down his face.

"Shit Ron," he paused. "Should I send him back to Hell?"

"No!" she shouted, turning around quickly, startling the man. Holy shit she was angry at that. "He's not that bad of a guy John, Devil himself or not. He's not as bad as people are led to believe."

John held his hands up in surrender, cautious look on his face. No use in getting her worked up because then it was going to become a shouting match that Aaron would end in the end only because he would get sick of it. "Alright lass, alright. I'll believe ya. Still, I'd like to meet tha guy."

Aaron walked up to him, scowl on her face as she poked him in the chest gaining a look of amusement from the man. "No sending anyone back to Hell mister. He's entertaining to be around."

"You really like him don't you?" he asked quietly after a few moments. Aaron seemed to deflate before him.

"Yeah. Stupid, huh?" She rested her forehead on his shoulder, hand dropping to her side as she leaned against him, John wrapping his arms around her in comfort as she sought it.

"Nah. Anyone you like can't be that bad."

She smiled.

------

"So what kind of job are you here for this time?" Aaron asked, making pancakes for the both of them. John couldn't cook for shit, thus he was sitting at the table smoking, watching her, glass of whiskey nearby (it was five o'clock somewhere).

He was taking too long to respond, putting Aaron on edge. She flipped over the last pancake, letting it sit for a few moments before placing it on the stack of pancakes, turning the oven off. She turned around, arms crossed over her chest, biting her lip in nervousness. "John?" she prodded quietly, gaining a deep and heavy sigh from the man, smoke escaping past his lips at the exhale.

"I'm hunting for a demon named Niluhr. He's been leaving a bloody trail of corpses that lead me to here. He's hunting for someone and I want ta get him before he finds them. This one's a shape shifter so I may need your help."

So that was why he was hesitant. He hated having to involve her and her Sight, knowing how much she hated it. But for the man who saved her, she would do anything he asked and John knew it. Aaron sighed, running a hand down her face. "Do you realize how many demons run around LA, John?"

"A lot, I know. But I've been able ta narrow the search down for ya Ron." He grinned, pointing a finger to his right cheek. "I was able ta burn a cross right here on him so it should be easy to identify him for ya."

"That does narrow it down, yes, but I'm still hunting for hay in a needle stack."

"I believe it's the other way around luv."

"Nope. This one is hay in a needle stack Johnnyboy as I am going to be pestering a lot of demons just by seeing them."

"I hate ta even ask ya of this but that ability of yours is quite handy in times like these."

"Talk to someone who actually appreciates the cursed thing," she huffed, turning back around and arranging two plates with the pancakes. She made a larger stack for the exorcist, knowing he had a larger appetite than herself, which John gladly dug into the moment she sat the plate down in front of him. They discussed plans of action while they ate, settling into an old and familiar routine.