The Glass Room

Lauren's POV:

I reach the boating lake, my eyes scan the area for Bea. She's not here yet. I lean against a tree, I can't help but glance at the water. What's in that lake? Who is 'they'? Why are 'they' here? I run my fingers through my hair and press the top of my head against the tree. I stare at the brilliant sky, it's darker than it was during lunch. Most of the clouds have broken apart and floated away to a different destination. I tap my fingers on the tree, waiting patiently.

"Jauregui," I hear Bea whisper from behind me. Her fingers curl around my shoulder, I turn to look at her. "You made it."

"Yeah," I say, throwing a quick glance around one last time before focusing on Bea. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Oh, I just thought your guard dork would stop you." Bea rolls her eyes, she grips the ends of her leather jacket. I stare at her half gone finger. Did a snake really do that? She slides her black fingernails against her index finger's side.

"My guard dork?" I ask, raising my eyes to met her dark ones.

"Yeah, your guard dork: Karla."

After a brief second, it registers in my mind. I shake my head and my upper lip twitches in anger. "Don't call her Karla, she goes by Camila." I tell Bea who just shrugs. 

"I don't care, I can call her whatever." Bea snarls, intensifying the eye contract between us.

"No, you can't. I won't let you, Bea." I state, ready for whatever she has to throw at me.

Bea opens her mouth to speak but quickly closes it. She stares hard at my face, I squint my eyes at her. She puts her thumb under my chin and lifts my head slightly. Her eyes scan my expression, they then met my irises.

"You have feelings for the girl, don't you, Jauregui?" Bea says, her voice prickling slightly when the word 'girl' left her mouth.

"W-what?" I stutter, furrowing my eyebrows for a brief second and taking a step backwards.

"You do, I can see it. It's radiating off of you." Bea tells me, she chuckles afterwards. I just stare at her. "Just be careful 'round her, though, I get a weird vibe from her."

"A weird vibe, huh?" I repeat, scoffing. "As if. You just don't like her."

"True, true," Bea admits, tapping her fingers against her chin. "And I won't stop just because you like her, but don't say I didn't warn you."

I just cross my arms and roll my eyes, "Okay, then. Can't you just tell me what you need to tell me?"

"Sure," Bea runs her fingers through her hair, she looks around swiftly before meeting my eyes again. "I just want you to listen to me, okay?"

"Okay," I sneer, leaning against the tree again. "Go on."

"Stay away from rivers, lakes, and any other body of water." Bea informs me sternly, her eyebrows furrowing slightly.

"Then why did you bring me here?" I ask, the edge leaving my voice slowly.

"To preform an experiment, that's why." Bea says, she grabs my wrist and drags me to the edge of the water.

I stare into the now black water, I can barely see my reflection. Bea sits on the bay, I sit next to her. She glances at me, I stare at the dark water. The air grows colder, I shiver under the breeze.

"Put your hand in the water?" Bea instructs me, I give her a crazy look.

"What?" My voice cracks as I yell. "You just told me to stay away from rivers, lakes, and basically any water!"