The Second Meeting

"Come on, Camila." I grab Camila's hand, pulling her up to her feet. She almost tips over when her feet plant on the ground, she catches herself on my shoulders. We connect eyes and she smiles shyly. I kiss her forehead, and she straightens herself out.

"Where are we going?" Camila asks, intertwining our fingers; her thumb rubbing circles on the back of my hand.

"To see Bea." I respond, walking away from our friends. Camila looks startled, her eyebrows rise and her lips part slightly.

"No way," Camila shakes her head, pulling away from me. I clench her hand tighter, she whines.

"Camila, we are going." I state, dragging her closer to where Bea once stood a few seconds ago.

"Okay then, bye! Have fun on your vacation!" I hear Dinah call to us sarcastically, I turn around and wave farewell at her. She doesn't seem to notice.

"But Lauren! S—!" Camila complains, yanking her arm back towards herself. People start to turn their heads at us, I glare at all of them. Their disapproving faces get to me, shadows bask around their long faces; they don't understand— Bea wouldn't call Camila to the meeting unless it was important.

With one tug of my arm, Camila is right next to my face. I wrap my free arm around her waist, putting my chin in her neck. I whisper, "Camila, this is important. Please, just come on."

I hear a small sigh escape her lips, her nose crinkles in disgust. I plant a small kiss under her earlobe, I feel her body shiver almost immediately after I remove my lips from her neck. She pulls away and drops our hands, they dangle separately at each of our sides.

"Fine." Camila replies coldly, her eyes seem to darken. "But I won't enjoy it."

We trek through the bare forest, nothing to cover us from the spirits that lurk within. I lift my eyes towards the sky, it's completely dark now. I see a few stars peek through, they shimmer like glitter lost in a sea of hatred and despair. I scan the many different shades of black for a moon, but it doesn't shine tonight. I lower my gaze to Camila, her face is contorted with an emotion I can't place.

The clearing comes in sight, I see Bea pacing around the water hole. Shawn, Ariana, Daya and Charlie already sit there, I don't see Brad— Thank God. Lights rim the outline of the small clearing, I think they are candles. The flickering of light casts long shadows on the brittle grass. I push a branch aside, Camila follows. Bea spots me and grins, she gestures us to come closer.

"I'm so glad you guys made it." Bea greets us, placing her hand on my shoulder. I notice Camila scoots away slightly. "I don't think Brad is coming so go take a seat. We need to talk immediately."

I nod my head, Camila shoots Bea a weird look when her back is turned. I gently run my fingertips on Camila's wrist, trying to show her that it's okay. She just yanks her hand away, it collides with her hip with so much force she winces slightly. I sigh, sitting down next to Charlie. Camila joins me reluctantly.

"Okay guys," Bea says loudly so everyone can hear, her hands are clasped together as if she is praying. "We have another problem."

The clearing grows silent. The only sound I can hear is the occasional sound of crickets chirping and the heavy breathing of the people beside me. Bea exhales deeply before continuing, she close her eyes.

"They want to haunt this camp." Bea says, her eyes open. I can tell she is very stressed, who wouldn't be? Dark bags lay under her eyes, making her dark irises seem sad and tired.

A bunch of 'what's and 'huh's erupt from our small circle. Confusion fills the once completely empty air, I can tell that Camila is the most confused one in the circle. I start to reach over to grab her hand, to comfort her, but I retract— she will just pull away from me.