Tired(Jack)

I carried James inside after lifting his sleeping body from the car. I undid the lock on the door, and went inside.

I thumped as quietly as possible up the stairs and paused outside Mark's door.

"Mark?"

There was no response.

"I love you both. Goodnight." I whispered, before heading to James's room. I laid him down on the bed, and started to walk away.

"Papa..."

I turned back to see his eyes open. "Yeah Jamie?"

"Will you stay in here?"

I softened. "Of course. Just let me go pee."

"M'kay..." James snuggled down to his chin under the puffy duvet, his mop of red hair sticking up in all directions.

I chuckled before stepping into.the bathroom. I peed, brushed my teeth, and came back to the bed.

I slid under the warm blankets, and smoothed an already-sleeping James's hair before settling down.

I started to drift off, when he woke with a start, gasping for air. I stayed still, not wanting to startle him.

I felt him move, with a small sob escaping his lips, and his head came to rest over my heart.

His thin arms went around me, and after a moment's hesitation, I slid one arm around his slender torso, resting it on his back.

Hm... that would be the next thing. Mark and I would get him to eat more. He was so thin. Had he been starving himself?

He sighed, rapidly calming down as I held him, rubbing his back softly.

"I love you Papa..." I heard my son mumble, feeling a surge of love and joy at hearing my new name come from his lips.

"Love you too kid." I kissed the top of his head. "I love you too."