Chapter 3

How could there be this many kids in one school?!

I slowly edge towards the bleachers, while everyone watches my movements. I sit next to some kids who looked to be the jocks of the school, decked out in varsity jackets and cheerleader outfits. The whole stereotype present in one group of people. Leave it to me to get stuck sitting next to them. I mentally roll my address and put my attention to the speaker in the centre of the gym.

The dean returned to her first day of school speech. From what I caught, it was the same as all other schools. "Welcome" and "This year is going to be the best one yet!".

Once she is done speaking, she calls out a group of people called "The Avengers." What the hell kind of school have I just walked into? They walk out, dressed head to toe in strange costumes. One was in a suit that looks a rather expensive being that it's royal blue shine was reflecting off the crappy fluorescent lights, another in a brown leather jacket, white t-shirt and jeans, one with a red cape and hammer, silver scales reflecting off his arms, one looks like a doctor while the man next to him was in all black with a bow and arrow slung across his back. Finally, the only women of the group, dressed in a skin-tight jumpsuit with two 9.mm strapped to either side of her. As well there was a tall black man, in a floor length trench coat with an eye patch covering his left eye.

The pirate began to speak, "We are here to evaluate your powers and see if you are valuable enough to join the next project that S.H.I.E.L.D, The Avengers: Next Generation. You are going to step up on this platform, one at a time, and show us what you've got so we can see if you belong here or not." Powers? What was he talking about? I look around to the rest of the students, but no one seems concerned, some seem amazed by what he said, others appear bored out of their minds. 

With that, they all take a seat behind the long table. There are also five kids that looked to be about my age that sits alongside them.

They began calling up the students, going in alphabetical order. First was a short, thin girl with mousy brown hair. The first impression was that she was quiet, thou she had large eyes, possibly good in math or science due to the pencils that stuck out of her bun. Clearing his throat, the pirate ushered her on the raised platform. Wait, raised platform? What kind of school has a random platform in the middle of their gym? Anywho, I zone back in to hear him say, "Show us what you got".

All of a sudden, flames began to engulf her body. I let out a shriek and dove for cover. The students began clapping while the table group writes some stuff on clipboards, then called the next person.

Student after student goes up, showing their power then went back to there seat. I was in awe as I watched them demonstrate powers that I've only heard of in bedtime stories, from telepathy to levitation, speed and flight, and right down to communicating with animals.

The last student demonstrates their power and goes went back to their seat like the rest.

"You may now resume back to your classes as we discuss" the dean speaks into the mic.

As everyone started to leave, with me trailing not far behind, one of the cheerleader's next to me yells out, "Hey, but this newbie hasn't gone up yet. How unfair is that!" I tried to blend into the crowd that filed out of the doors, but the girl grabbed me from my backpack and threw me on the ground, right at the feet of the man in the brown leather jacket.

The man helped me up and escorts me over to the platform, while the dean begins calling everyone back to their seats, as I dragged my body atop the platform that they all stood on moments before. Some students moan as they have to refind their seats, but I watch as others make a quick dash out of the gym and out of sight. Those lucky buggers, I wish that was me!

The one in the expensive suit speaks first, "So, what is your power kid?" I hated being called "kid", so I could tell I was not going to like him.

"I don't have any powers", I stated in a whisper.

"Speak up a bit, we can't hear you from here," the man's voice rings out, and the gym starts to settle down to here my response. 

Clearing my throat, I say it a bit louder. "I don't have any powers, and I think I'm at the wrong school."

They starred in shock and then the pirate began talking "What do you mean you don't have any power? How did you get enrolled in this school then?"

I answered with a small shrug, shrinking into my jacket. "All my foster parents told me is that this school is for the gifted."

"Ya, those who are gifted with powers, stupid." I glance over at the table that all the strange people sit behind. They all look at one another, and then back at me. I could tell that this day was not to end well.