Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Mom, let her breathe," Andrew complains.

Lynn inhales and releases me. Staring into her eyes, I realize her hug was different than others have given me. I feel like the hug was inviting me into the family, like she's always wanted me to be here with Andrew.

"What are you guys up to?"

Andrew told me he'd do the talking, but I am able to answer this better than he is. "I'm helping him with his homework, Lynn."

She curls her lip. "That's really nice of you, Claire. Maybe this will motivate him to achieve something."

We both look at Andrew. He obviously isn't paying attention. He is too busy getting a six pack of Dr. Pepper from his fridge. "Okay," he says, facing us again. "Let's get this over with already. I've got things to do."

"Like what?" Lynn snorts crossing his arms.

Andrew smirks and looks at me. "The Walking Dead sort of stuff."

"Oh my God," his mom laughs. "Do you watch that show, too?" She asks me.

Wincing, I nod my head. "It's better than it sounds. You can't control your liking to it after you watch a few episodes."

Lynn nods, looking from me to Andrew. He's much closer to me than he was before, our shoulders pressed together. "What did I tell you? Now you're going to be here all night."

Lynn rolls her eyes. "Good luck studying with him, Claire. If you need anything, just ask."

I nod, but can't say anything when Andrew grabs my wrist and leads me to wherever we are studying. On our way, he steals Sour Cream and Onion chips from Austin's lap. "Thanks, Bud."

I don't necessarily think Austin wanted Andrew to take the chips, but he tolerated him. If I were his sister, I would've chased after him and retrieves the chips.

But I'm not.

"Where are we going?"

"My room, idiot," says Andrew. He looks back at me and laughs. Without knowing it, I'm doing the exact same thing.

He opens the door leading to his room. I'm happy to say that it's really clean and organized. His walls are bare, but the sunset orange is enough decoration. His bed is made, his clothes are either in the closet or in a hamper and his shoes are lying in a line across the floor of his open closet door. As neat and organized as Andrew seems, he clearly isn't neat enough to finish his homework or study for any test he gets.

"What are we gonna study first, Claire bear?" asks Andrew. He makes himself comfortable on his bed, resting his arms behind his head. "Biology? Government? English?"

"College Algebra," I answer, smiling.

He wrinkles his nose. "I was deeply hoping you wouldn't say that. But, we might as well get that worst over with." He offers me a spot on the bed, but I hang in the doorway.

"Do I want to sit on the bed?" I ask. Who knows how many girls he's fucked on this bed.

He rolls his eyes. "Honestly, Claire bear, do you think they're good enough to sleep in this bed? This badass bed?"

Now I roll my eyes. "Just checking."

I sit down on his bed, my butt immediately sinking into it. "Comfy, isn't it?"