Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Thanksgiving break is only a week long and half of it is traveling anyways, but it's a break from school.

Andrew and I normally don't text each other, but ever since we went out to Starbucks and saw Catching Fire instead of staying at Collin's party, we've almost constantly been texting. It weird how often we text when I wasn't fond of him nearly a month ago. Now I'm realizing that he's not too bad.

I couldn't tell the day after Collin's party if Kyle was upset about his best friend and his sister leaving together and not telling him. He was nosey about what we did and I know he wanted to hang out with Andrew at the party. Andrew is the heart of a party.

Mr. Holland doesn't seem to understand that none of us are paying attention to him at all because our minds are fixed on break and our eyes on the clock. He just continues teaching us about what the Scarlett Letter is about.

Andrew raises his hand. "Sir, I think this books is highly inappropriate for our age."

Mr. Holland glares at him and crosses his arms. "You do not have a say in what I assign to you, Garfield. So in that case, I don't care that you think it's inappropriate."

"I was just stating my opinion."

I look at Andrew and shake my head. "Stop arguing. You're making it worse."

Mr. Holland smiles at me and tilts his glasses on the end of his nose. "Thank you for telling Mr. Garfield it's not polite to argue, Ms. Mitchell."

Well, I didn't say it wasn't polite.

"Over the break," Holland begins, keeping his gaze fixed on Andrew. "You will be reading the first three chapters of The Scarlett Letter."

The whole class argues. "Holland, it's break. You aren't supposed to assign work over a break." Collin says.

Mr. Holland raises his hands to silence us and says, "It's only sixty pages of your weekend. Most of you will blow right through it."

Andrew laughs, taking his comment the wrong way. Pervert.

"Oh, only sixty pages," huffs Andrew.

"You'll survive," Holland responds.

He is in a good enough mood to let us talk the last few minutes of class. At least he understands how much we enjoy talking.

Susanna leans into Andrew and smiles. "So, Andrew," she says, "what are you going over Thanksgiving break?"

He scoots away nonchalantly and relaxes in his seat. It's obvious to our class that Andrew isn't Susanna's biggest fan anymore. She's constantly trying to get his upmost attention. Lately, I find myself holding in my laughter when he pushes her away.

"Well," he begins. "I'm going to get amazing sleep, eat three helpings of turkey and then sleep some more."

She laughs irritably, her fingertips touching his shoulder. "Do you want to come to my family's Thanksgiving get-together?"

"No, thanks," says Andrew, smirking at me so Susanna can't see. "I'm going to stay home for the weekend. If I have I read this fucking book, I'm staying home."

She sighs disappointedly. "That's okay. Just know you're always welcome."

He nods head and turns away from her. When her attention is elsewhere, he stares at me and shakes his head.

"It's so easy." He laughs.

I shake my head. "What's so easy?"

"Lying to her," he says, smiling. "She's the most gullible person in the world."