Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Since I've let myself accept the fact that I love Andrew, I can't stop thinking about him. Every thought squirming around in my mind involves him, whether it's a good or bad one. I have to restrain myself from talking about him in every conversation, especially when Kyle mentions his name.

My secret admirer hasn't admitted himself to me or even given me anything in a couple days. But I'm hoping today I'll find something.

"Claire bear," Andrew says. I didn't notice he was standing by my locker.

"Excuse me." My locker neighbor, who is a freshman, is standing in front of Andrew. "I need to get my things."

"My apologies," he answers and moves on the other side of me. With the girl standing in the way and hearing our conversation, he looks scared to say anything to me. "So, are you doing anything tonight?"

I shake my head. My heart is racing by his question. "I don't think so."

"Oh," he answers. His eyes focus on the ground, possibly at my crappy shoes, but he avoids looking up at me. "Well, I was wondering...if..."

Oh my god. What is he trying to say?

"Maybe..." He doesn't make eye contact with me. His fingers run up and down on the side of my locker. "I was thinking that maybe...we could-"

"Andrew!" Kyle yells, summoning him toward him. "Practice. Let's go! I'm not getting another tardy!"

Andrew looks into my eyes and takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I-"

"No, no," I say, grabbing his arm. "You can make him wait. What's on your mind?"

He looks back at Kyle standing impatiently with his hands on his hips. "Nothing. It was stupid. I'll see you later, I guess..."

As he runs toward Kyle, I stick my head in the compartment that holds my books, and I scream. Luckily the noise in the hallway offsets my yelling. I couldn't hold in the scream of excitement, anger, fright, I'm not entirely sure of what exactly, any longer.

Andrew was about to ask me out on a date, where we could talk and laugh and grow closer. Now, that chance is gone.

Kyle tells me he thinks we'd be a good couple and then he ruins Andrew's chance of possibly starting something between us. He's indecisive; therefore, I am too.

I shut my locker door heavily and start off to the main gym for the boys' practice. The whole way there, my mind is repeating, Stupid Kyle. Stupid brothers. Stupid fucking Kyle.

Collin walks out of the locker room with a towel over his shoulder. I feel upset, but I hope I'm not coming off as depressed. "Claire, are you okay?"

I shrug off his question and sigh. "I don't really know."

He puts his hand on my shoulder. "It's okay. There's other guys better for you right?"

What's he talking about? What does he mean by that?

"Wait, you aren't upset about Andrew?" He asks. "Do you even know what I'm talking about?"

"No," I impatiently say. "Please explain to me what exactly you're talking about."

He looks at the coaches talking in the gym and then back at me. "Well, Kyle was talking to Andrew about you and he asked why you two have been hanging out so much lately-"

"I've been helping him study."

"Well, I know that." Collin crosses his arms. "Anyway, Andrew said he was only hanging out with you because you're a lot smarter than him and he wants better grades. He told your brother that he doesn't care about you like he thinks."