Nothing is Gained

Budo leaned against the gate at the entrance of the school, looking out towards the long walkway that lead from the road to where he stood. It had been two days since Ayano had shown up for school, and he wanted to see her as soon as possible.
It was bad enough that he couldn't see her at lunch or at practice, but she had also been too sick for him to come over after school. But at least he would have the entire weekend to catch up.
The thought of the next few days that he would be spending with his girlfriend made him smile. Even though they hadn't really made any specific plans, they had given eachother a general idea of what they wanted to do... of course those two general ideas conflicted drastically. While Budo wanted to go out and do something in town, Ayano seemed more content with just staying in and watching movies.
Oh well, they could talk about a compromise at lunch.
~~~
"You know what to do..." Ayano whispered to her blue haired companion, pressing the knife into her hand.
Saki Miyu gave an absent nod, hiding the weapon in the folds of her skirt and turning the corner, slowly making her way towards the school.
As Ayano pulled out her phone, trying to make time pass faster, she sighed. If this week had a silver lining, it was that she would get to spend the whole weekend unwinding with her best and only friend... who she happened to be dating... in order to get the attention of the guy she likes?
It didn't make sense to her either. While she did understand the role that she had assigned Budo, she also couldn't help but feel... nervous. Part of her wanted to get him out of this asap, but she also knew she couldn't.
Sighing, she glanced at her phone, checking the time.
7:14. Probably a good time to head on in.
Rounding the corner of the entryway to the cherry tree lined path, her eyes scanned the crowd of students before falling on the martial artist near the entrance of the school.
Ayano smiled a bit, remembering that in about 8 hours, she would get to spend her entire weekend hanging out with the only other person in the world that mattered to her. Of course... She was hoping she would be able to convince him to stay in for at least one night. Social events weren't her thing.
His eyes met hers and he grinned widely, pushing his way through the crowd and giving her a light peck on the forehead.
"Excited about tonight?" He asked. Ayano smiled a bit more, but decides to play it cool.
"Oh yeah, that's tonight isn't it." She states in a monotone voice. His smile faltered slightly, but he took the comment with a grain of salt.
As they walked into the school, they noticed the usual chatter that went on in the morning was strangely absent. Ayano pretended to be surprised as she and Budo joined the flock of students that stared out in disbelief at the courtyard.
"... Is that Saki Miyu?"
At the sound of her best friend's name, Kokona Haruka turned around. Her eyes widened in disbelief, but her look of shock quickly changed to tears of joy.
"Saki!" She cried, almost tripping over herself as she began to half sprint over to the cyan haired girl.
"Oh god Saki, where have you been? I've been worried sick-" she was now close enough to read her friend's vacant expression. "Are you alright?"
Her eyes darted down at the flash of light from the folds of her skirt as she slowly crept towards her. "What are y-"
Another purple haired girl slowly pushed her way to the front of the crowd. Her eyes widened.
"KOKONA, SHE HAS A KN-" her words were drowned out by the collective scream that rippled through the group.
Everything flashed by quickly. There was a flash of blue, purple, and red. The girl who had tried to warn her of the incoming attack was now being held back by a group of kids from the drama club, screaming and crying out the other girl's name. Students ran from the courtyard. Even Yui Rio had crumpled to the ground, staring at two of the only people she had become friends with. Ayano felt Budo tense up beside her, but when he tried to move forward, she held him tighter. He looked at her, his eyes widened with fear, and the back at the scene in front of them
They both watched the blue haired girl rip the knife out of the others chest and slowly look between what she had done, and the object she had used to do it.
They both watched her raise it to her own throat.
One felt indescribable horror.
The other felt nothing.