The Move

"We're moving." I squeaked.

My friends stared at me in disbelief. In all honesty, I hadn't been expecting a different reaction.

Amy had often informed me over the past month that I had been acting strange - more withdrawn from the actual group. Ever since my girlfriend Kendra had broken up with me, I had been more withdrawn, but that was nearly five months ago and I was over her. However I had started acting strange again. It wasn't because of Kendra, though. It was because of The Move.

To say that horse camp wasn't a good idea was an understatement. My mom enrolled me to take my mind off of the divorce... and since all of my friends were going, it was the obvious choice. However, horses and schizophrenia don't mix, and if you think they do, then you're wrong.

I'll attest to that.

Shut up.

They're staring at us.

You're making weird faces... stop making weird faces.

SHUT UP.

"You're moving." Lacey repeated. "As in, leaving us?"

"Guys, I'll still Skype you and stuff." I sighed. "Look, if I could take you guys with me I could, but Lacey you hate snow."

"Oh my gods, where are you going?" Lacey gasped. "Somewhere with snow?"

"Paris." I admitted in a small voice.

"PARIS?" May shrieked, standing up. When she got weird looks, she announced the news to the entire cafeteria. "The lady's going to Paris. As in Paris, France. Without me!"

"Do you know the designer clothes there?" Shadi agreed. "OMG, they're divine."

"You can't just leave us!" Lacey protested. "What about our competitive dance team?"

"There's nothing you can say that hasn't crossed my mind!" I told her, feeling horrible. "But you guys absolutely must visit me ASAP. Anyway, I'm going to stay with my second cousin Marinette and go to her school, so when we Skype you can totally meet her!"

"I'm totally going to be the first one there!" Shadi exclaimed. "Omg, have you heard of the Agreste fashion line?"

We groaned. It was on all of the magazines she read and pretty much all she talked about. Nobody else we knew had ever heard about it, but Shadi was pretty much obsessed with everything Eiffel.

"Alright kids, time for our private lessons!" A counselor announced. "I'm going to tell each and every one of you who you will be riding today. Some of you have the same teacher or the same horse, so be patient!"

"I love horse camp." Lacey sighed happily.

"You are so dead." Amy told me.

--

The moment I stepped on the plane,  Amy called me on my tablet. How convenient.

"What's going on?" She crossed her arms, glaring me through her computer screen.

"I just got on the plane," I hissed, trying to avoid the stares the people on the aisles were giving me as I tried to sashay down with my suitcase and my tablet in my hands. "I literally just saw you twenty minutes ago, it's not like I'm there yet!"

"If the pilot cracks funny jokes, can you send them to me?" Lacey chimed from the back seat of the car. "I love it when the pilot cracks funny jokes."

Lacey was Amy's sister, her younger sister by two years. Even though she was only in middle school and we were in high school, we still hung out together, and I'd always forget that she was younger.

"I've got to put my stuff in the overhead bin." I informed the two. "I'll call you when we get to the bakery, okay?"

"Fine." Amy huffed. "But promise to call us, okay?"

"Alright." I hung up on them and puffed out air as I helped mom stuff her carry-on bag into the overhead bin. Then I sat in my seat and went to sleep.