The Call That Was Late

I have to admit, I didn't call her when we got there.

When we got there it was hell just trying to find Marinette and the rest of her family. There was also an auburn-haired girl there for some reason that I questioned immediately.

"Sel, this is my best friend Alya." Marinette introduced. "Alya, this is my second cousin Sel."

I was surprised at how choppy her English was. Didn't most French people speak English? Well, this was going to be bad... I was hella bad at French. Failed the course, unlike Shadi who breezed right through. I wasn't surprised at that, to be honest... she practically memorized the Agreste magazines.

"Bonjour, Alya." I greeted Marinette's friend. "I'm not fluent in French, please pardon me."

"It's fine, girl!" Alya grinned at me. "Do you know how awesome this is? I get to know the new kid before anyone else! I mean, you're from America. How cool is that!"

I sighed in relief... someone who actually spoke English like they knew what they were doing. "Girl, how did you learn how to speak such good English?"

"My aunt lives in America." Alya admitted, pushing her glasses back onto her face. "Girl, we have got to get you to the bakery to try some of Marinette's croissants!"

Marinette flushed. "But Alya, Adrien's coming over to work on the project and I can't make croissants right now because I have to get ready for him and-"

"Girl, Adrien's your boyfriend." Alya interrupted. "You don't have to be so uptight!"

"Wait." I held up my hands in a time-out motion. "Marinette has a boyfriend, and that boyfriend's name is Adrien?" I cracked my knuckles. "I can't wait to meet this... Adrien. Time for a protective older brother!"

"Wait." Alya interrupted. "But you're a girl."

"Minor detail I forgot to mention." I chuckled. "It's... um... a long story. But I'm, uh, genderfluid. Meaning that-"

"I know what it means, girl!" She laughed at me. "So you're genderfluid, and from America, and you're going to my school? Your popularity level is going to exceed Chloe's by a 3.5, girl! I mean..." She chuckled nervously. "Then it's going to plummet, because nobody ever pays attention to kids like you. But if you hang out with Marinette's boyfriend here..." She nudged Marinette, who blushed at the mention of Adrien. "Then you'll do just fine in my opinion. Also I'm sleeping over with you  tonight so I hope you're okay with that...?"

"Look, I'm not going to magically turn into a boy overnight, okay?" I laughed.

"Yeah, yeah, I know." She shared my laugh. "I've just... I don't actually know any genderfluid people."

"Well, well, look at dumpster trash!" A mean, annoyingly high voice taunted behind us.

I turned, greeted with an annoyingly  bright shade of blonde hair, paired with blue eyes and a yellow jacket with a white striped shirt. Her heels were too high for Kim Kardashian and her makeup was beat, which made me hate her on-sight. Nobody should have both beat makeup and higher heels than Kim Kardashian. If Shadi couldn't pull it off, nobody could.

"If you're looking for the trash can, I believe it's over there by that pole." I offered, attempting to be helpful.

Alya nearly choked on her mint. Marinette turned bright red.

"Um, no. I'm not touching that germfest." The girl's nose wrinkled in disgust. "I was talking to little bo twerp there in the corner."

"Thanks, but Marinette knows where the trash can is." I attempted a smile.