Connections

"Oh my gods of Olympus on high, is that Adrien Agreste?"

It was roughly fifteen seconds later, when I had thrown my suitcases onto the makeshift bed in Marinette's room and plopped open my laptop, sitting down on the bed in the process. Alya, Marinette, and Adrien arranged themselves behind me.

"Shadi." I waved enthusiastically. "Hi."

"We're all here." Amy yelled from somewhere off-screen. "I'm making popcorn."

"Hey, Amy." I grinned.

"Answer my question!" Shadi insisted. "Is that Adrien Agreste?"

"Yes, it's Adrien Agreste." I rolled my eyes. "Say hi to Shadi, Adrien."

"Hey, Shadi." Adrien waved.

Shadi turned pale and excused herself. I laughed as Lacey took over the screen and began her usual rapid-fire questions: Did you see the Eiffel tower? Are Adrien and Marinette dating? Is modeling difficult? Are you super rich? Are you coming back to Texas? When can we visit?

"Do you remember Lane and Bloomer?" Amy flew past the screen to adjust it, then sat on the couch. I deduced that this meant that the computer was hooked up to the TV.

"Ugh, those two lovebirds." I groaned. "So annoying!"

"They broke up because Bloomer tried to cheat on her with May and she said nuh-uh!" Lacey snapped her fingers. "Now he's going to have a reputation for the whole year as the guy who cheated on Lane!"

"Mmm." I shook my head disapprovingly. "I always knew that boy was up to something. Remember when he asked me out two years ago?"

"And you were a boy?" Hysterical laughter erupted from Shadi, who appeared back on-screen. "Everyone assumed Bloomer was gay!"

"I'm Alya." Alya inserted herself into the conversation. "Marinette's best friend, runner of the Ladyblog, rocker of glasses, and bringer-together of Adrienette - which, may I add, was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do."

"Ladyblog?" Shadi leaned forward eagerly. "Is that some sort of fashion thing?"

"Sort of." Alya chuckled. "It's based off of our superhero, ladybug. She's amazing! I'll pull up pictures..." Alya breezed through her phone, rivaling even Shadi with her speed and ease navigating the electronic. In only a few seconds, she had pulled up a few pictures of a humanoid Ladybug and held it close to my face. And in a split second, I had pretty much flown across the room. Marinette looked offended.

"Sel has a mortal fear of ladybugs." Amy laughed, peering closer at Alya's phone.  "Wow, she almost looks real. That's amazing artwork."

Marinette looked even more offended.

"Are you kidding me?" Alya drew back. "Do you think she's fake? Ladybug and Chat Noir watch over Paris and keep us safe from Akumas!"

"Or attempt to." Marinette pointed out. "They've never actually prevented an akuma."

"No, but they're still awesome." Adrien interjected. "Especially Ladybug." He got a dreamy look in his eyes. Marinette pinched his side, making him jump.

"I've never watched this anime - woah." Shadi's head leaned back as she stared at her tablet. "Amy... look at this. Look at this."

"Youtube?" Amy leaned over Shadi's shoulder. "Woah. Whoever drew this anime is seriously skilled, you guys."

"I don't think this is anime." Shadi said uncomfortably. "You can't read the comments, this is a French video. But I can read them... recorded live action, five days ago?"