Cherry's Dawn || Chapter 13

Author's Note: After watching footage of Jesse Johnson himself, this entry surfaced. By the way, this chapter takes places before Don fired Monty from the show altogether. Enjoy!

==

1985 – Soul Train

"Seems like the ladies get prettier and prettier every time we come back here."

JESSE

"Hi, Jesse." I'd never forget the way my own name slipped right off her tongue.

Monty stood in gold metallic cloth and shook my hand with a pretty smile on plump and dark shaded lips. Those legendary curls fell around her face. My heart nearly dropped staring at her body like a pervert. Prince knew she was bad and scooped her up before the rest of us reached even one sprinkle of an opportunity.

A matching bangle of gold jingled while she held my hand backstage. Don granted me access to the area as soon as everyone else walked to another hallway of changing rooms. Never would I cross the line of seeing her stand indecently like Morris.

"Great job out there." We sat end to end on a couch settled in a corner of her dressing room. Only Prince gained such a luxury based on what I'd experienced. I declined Monty's offer of water and just watched her pour a glass in total silence.

"How'd you get a room like this?" I asked curiously.

"Compromise with Don." her three words slipped off again. The New Jersey accent I'd heard so much about emerged on the name Don. "I dance and he gives whatever I ask. It's all in my contract thanks to employees around me."

Damn. I thought to myself. Sexy as hell and independent? Lord, have I died and gone to heaven?

"Good for you." I could only say at first. "Um, could I ask you question?"

"Sure." Monty grinned a second time and looked at me intently. "Anything wrong? You seem tense."

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Well, it's not the most appropriate question for someone you just met, but I've been really curious."

"What is it?" Monty laughed nervously.

"Are you serious about Prince or what? Everybody knows you're with him and all, but I'm really confused. Didn't you flirt with Michael Jackson or something?" In that moment, I could've slapped my own mouth. Girlfriend shot me down with the coldest look in her pretty eyes.

"What I do with Prince or any other man isn't your business. Why does everybody question me like this?" Her manicured nails pointed at me and shined under the lamps in this dressing room. "I'm sorry, Jesse, but that's not cool."

"I'm sorry. Maybe I should drop outta here. Good luck with your continued success, beautiful." The last word slipped out like vomit and I popped my own mouth almost instantly this time.

I looked back to find Monty smiling from cheek to cheek against with that dark lipstick. Her plump lips nearly made my heart leap and body leap once more. How could any other woman be finer than Vanity herself?

Under this dreadful lighting, Monty glowed in the piercing metallic again. Her damn near flawless skin brought a risky chill down my spine. I could only imagine how Prince felt even touching her arm night after night.

Lucky son of a bitch.

"Are you blushing?" she finally asked. Activator and other grease all over my hair dried uncomfortably now and I fought every to scratch in my favorite spot like some dumbass.

Again, I wondered if Prince ever felt this clumsy or awkward another someone this gorgeous? Most of the time, he played cool, especially near Vanity or even Shelia, but this? The chance of flopping right in front of Monty scared me shitless.

"Sorry, but I gotta go. Hopefully, we'll come back and I'll see you around." I stumbled on words and lifted my hand, fighting another urge to scratch my head full of shriveled Activator. We shared awkward goodbye and I finally dipped out before losing my head.

As soon as the door closed, I looked with bucked eyes to see all band members gathered and nosy. A guard like Big Chick guided us out of here with another word. Even Tim, a shy and mellowed cat, wouldn't even shake off Monty's charm.

He leaned in to whisper nearly seconds later. "Did you get her number?"

"She's a tough cookie, man. Asking would leave me in a casket." I pressed my lips.

"Jesus. Sorry." Tim shook his head.

I didn't really think much of it and knew my lane. Once again, Prince would never forgive me if I ever crossed the line. No one could tell him love wasn't real, regardless of his spells with other women at the time.

Monty had been different all along.

**

MONTY

Other than the awkward questioning, Jesse wasn't too bad. I called Skipper after coming home to the penthouse that night. He'd been either touring or recording for quite a while, but always made a point to keep in touch. Limits were nothing to him when it came to me for some odd reason.

"Hey, Skip." I perked up slightly after drinking coffee to wake myself up for him.

"Hey, mama. How was the show?"

"Jesse showed up. Hope you're not upset, but he asked about you and me." I quickly walked into protection mode of sorts.

"What did you say?" his voice dropped and I honestly wondered if my panties were still hidden underneath these baggy sweatpants.

"I told him that my personal life is none of his business. What do you think I said?" I scoffed, defending us for the millionth time.