Cherry's Dawn || Chapter 14

1985

Following American Bandstand - Los Angeles, CA

ANDRE

We didn't meet face to face in the beginning.

I kept the limousine telephone close to my ear and waited for ringing to stop. Noise of the radio and engine never even distracted me. In the name of scheduling, I hadn't gained the chance to meet Monty face to face just yet. I'd finished time on American Bandstand not too long ago.

On the fourth ring, Monty picked up.

"Andre! How are you? her voice dragged my name.

Butterflies circled through my stomach just like Jesse had warned. I chewed my bottom lip and fought every urge to smile like an idiot. Lurking bandmates would definitely ask questions later on. Even something as basic as her voice made someone feel important.

"I'm great." I sat up even more against the leather seat now. "You sound happy tonight. What's going on, girl?"

"Nothing, I just couldn't wait to speak to you. From what I've heard, you're quite a musician and The Dance Electric is one of my favorites. I practice dancing with it before taping Soul Train all the time."

Oh my fucking God! She loves my shit!

I cleared my throat professionally. "Thanks. What are you doing?"

"Not much, I'm done taping for the week and I have a photoshoot with this magazine tomorrow. What are you doing?" That New Jersey became thicker than I expected at the moment.

"On the way back to our hotel actually. I honestly don't even remember what the hell what we're supposed to do tomorrow."

Monty sighed, but giggled in my ear all at once. I blushed for the millionth time during this conversation. "I've had those days, trust me. You're not the only one."

We laughed awkwardly for a second and I really didn't know what to say next. Jesse and others warned about crossing the line when it came to Prince. Even Morris, with his flirty and foolish self, could only go so far without The Kid noticing. Baby Girl had been off-limits for about three years at this point.

At the same time, pictures and footage left me speechless. Every time she made an appearance for the show, Prince would mostly stop rehearsal or whatever just to see his favorite woman. Every time, I stay totally quiet while Morris whooped loudly or fanned himself like some old lady in church.

"Damn." Even Jesse would say.

In one episode, Monty spun around in that half-circle platform overlooking the Soul Train gang below. Black Spandex pants squeezed all curves and I almost fainted as soon as the camera cut to her perfectly swaying ass. Short curls in the back of her head gleamed under burning and colorful spotlights. I don't even remember what song growled in the footage. Nor do I even care to remember now.

I looked over to see that Prince vanished from the room. To this day, everybody had been convinced that The Kid wrote "Do Me Baby" as soon as he left the room. There were times when he'd just start mumbling lyrics to this record and even slipped her name during actual rehearsals.

I couldn't blame him at all.

Fine ass. I thought to myself.

"I know you've heard this many times before, but you're actually really pretty. Please don't scold me over Prince. I just wanted to let you know." I shook my head at the foolish truth coming out my mouth.

She chuckled again. My heart jumped as expected. Dammit.

"Thanks, Andre. You're not so bad lookin' yourself." She flirted with me. Part of me wished to spill the beans to someone immediately after this one-to-one. My ego levels shot right up.

I wondered if she looked as gorgeous in person, but that outgoing personality had been quite the refresher and I couldn't help thinking of her and Prince. Were they official or what? Every other week, I'd read of his time with other ladies in the paper, but his heart somehow led back to this pretty thing on the phone with me right now.

Did she even love him? Jesse made the mistake of asking about their relationship not too long ago. I knew so much better than that. We kept up this conversation on the phone, but I could only think about that adorable smile and those deep brown eyes.

"I know this seems really personal, but is true that you've dated El Debarge?" I had no idea where this other question came from.

"Yes, but that's all I'm gonna say." Monty whispered quietly. "Please don't ask about my relationships anymore. I've had enough from everybody else."

"Sorry." my voice shrunk. "It's just really confusing because you two act like a married couple one day and bicker like children the next. He just switches back and forth with other women and you. I wouldn't." Again, words just spilled out of my mouth without any other second thought.

"Andre, what are you saying?" Monty asked in a confused voice. The engine and radio blurred out again and I didn't even care. Even if band mates asked questions by the dozen tomorrow, I'd explain absolutely nothing.

I already dug a hole and could only rub down my face. Greg looked on beside me with curious eyes, but never said a word.

"Girl, I really like you. To hell what Prince thinks."

Within seconds, Monty hung up. All the way back, I cursed mentally.