Cherry's Dawn || Chapter 18

Author's Note: As a disclaimer, this idea is 100% fictional.

==

Early 1991

MONTY

I braved frigid Minnesota and shook right out of my coat as soon as the studio door shut. With his back to me, Skipper worked the mixing board as usual, but no sound emerged. He fumbled with a bottom or two before spinning around in his roller chair.

I nearly fainted at sight of extensive facial hair on his face, but remained composed. Neither of us planned for romance during our appointment and I hoped to keep distance. To me, crossing lines while professional had been out of the question for years.

He rose from the chair and opened his arms to me. Despite that well-known exhaustion in his eyes, he hinted with a smile and strut toward me in the only way he knew how. I chuckled in his arms, but instantly noticed that familiar scent the longer we embraced.

"It's so good to see you." he whispered. "Come sit. I honestly can't wait for you to hear this." We both sat down together at that mixing board for the first time in years.

I don't even remember the most recent visit to Paisley, but this moment felt nostalgic regardless. My eyes popped immediately noticing his yellow pantsuit and the peeking chest hair that revealed itself underneath. He toyed with button choices once more.

I quickly chewed my bottom lip waiting for this agony stop existing, but the sound of chords distracted me from anything else as he leaned back with both hands behind his head. A smirk ran across his face, something I'd known for almost ten years.

I nearly chuckled before his own voice rang through the speakers. A polished demo met my eyes and offered pristine sound. His head nodded in the beginning. His lips mouthed lyrics as he pointed to me with a smile.

[Verse 1]

This will be the day.

That you will hear me say.

That I never run away.

I am here for you.

Love is meant for two.

So, tell me what you're gonna do.

[Chorus]

If I gave you diamonds and pearls?

Would you be a happy boy or a girl?

If I could, I would give you the world.

All i can do is just offer you my love...

Before either of us could blink, we smiled cheek to cheek when the music faded. I looked over my shoulder to find an engineer swapping places with Skipper and never had the chance to carry out greetings.

Across from each other in the recording booth, I grinned for Skipper like child. He rolled his eyes, but chuckled at the bounced of my curls. Headphones pinned down our manes of hair as expected. Before long, I zoned out reality, belting over the music that droned through my ears.

[Bridge – Brenda Hughes]

D to the I to the A to the M.

O to the N to the D to the pearls of love.

D to the I to the A to the M.

O to the N to the D to the pearls of love...

[Verse 3 – Prince]

There will come a time.
When love will blow your mind
And everything you'll look for you'll find.
That will be the time.
That everything will shine.

So bright it makes you colorblind...

__

Again, I felt cheated. No matter how many times I pleaded with both labels, Prince and I couldn't get our version of this record off the ground. Cavolla warned of too many hazards given my reputation. In the name of years old madness, I'd failed once more and never cried so much.

After many tears, I met substitute Rosie Gaines just for minutes and flew out of Minnesota, despite Skip's protest. It wasn't long before he called my California number. I'd spent time coaching models through the area. It was perhaps one of the only facets of my career that anyone took seriously anymore.

"Hello?" I pushed back my curls with a glass of wine sitting across from me.

"It's bullshit." Prince mumbled in a low voice. "They keep putting nonsense on you like it's a crime. It's been years, Monty."

"I know." I sighed. "But Rosie's almost my twin vocally, so the record won't be that much different."

"As great as she is, I want you." he replied. I knew he shook his head at this point.

I honestly groaned out loud. "You can't have everything."

"Stop preaching and listen to me for once!" Skip yelled out of nowhere. "This is probably why Michael slept around on you."

"What did you just say?" I charged back.

He answered with nothing.

"Skipper?" I lowered my voice questioning him once more.

"Prince?!" I screamed right into the phone. "What did you just say?"

He'd hung up and I didn't even realize it.

__

SKIPPER

Did I honestly say that? I thought to myself. Hypocrite. Dumbass.

Michael couldn't have been as unfaithful as me, but I remember what Monty said about their breakup. I lowered my head after staring at the phone for too long. There was only silence at Paisley around three in the morning.

A picture of Monty with me rested on my nightstand, but I could only think about her serious relationship with Michael. After all these years, I finally knew so much better than to judge anyone else.