9) A Bag Of Salt And Vinegar Chips Save My Life

At first I think that we made a wrong turn.

When we finally reach the place with the same address as the slip of paper in my hand all three of us stare at it in confusement.

Instead of a pristine looking headquarters or some gates to guard the secret institution Ash had invented, all that stands in front of us is an abandoned gas station.

After a few moments of silence Hunter speaks up. "Nice place Ash has got here".

"This must be a mistake" Ronnie speaks, stepping out of the car as Hunter and I follow her. The gravel road had led us off the freeway about five miles back and the only thing other than the rusty building was trees that surrounded every direction but backward.

"Well if this is where the entrance to his school is located than it's in a pretty good spot" Hunter speaks up. "Nowhere to really run but in the woods and they can easily send that up into flames".

"Maybe lets not talk about being trapped and having to run away from burning trees before we go into the sketchy looking building" I say back as Ronnie pushes the door open.

A bell tied to the handle jingles, making me jump slightly. I half expect a troop of fire warriors to suddenly pop out from behind the cashier counter and torch us into oblivion.

But nobody jumps out and all too soon it becomes eerily quiet.

"Check for a trap door or something" Ronnie informs Hunter and I, her eyes scanning over the rows of snack food and candy.

I see a pack of salt and vinegar chips and stuff them into my backpack. I look up to see Ronnie looking at me like I just killed a baby.

"What? I'm hungry" I state.

"And stupid too, apparently" she responds in an annoyed voice. "Anything in here could trigger a trap or alert somebody that we're here".

"Plus salt and vinegar has got to be the worst flavor of potato chips ever" Hunter inputs.

"Well seeing as no alarms went off I think it's safe to say that we're alright for now" I state. "And don't come crying to me when you get hungry for a salty snack".

Ronnie rolls her eyes before turning away and heading towards the back room. I continue looking over the floor for any sign of a secret door.

"Guys" Ronnie calls from the other room. Hunter and I quickly enter to see Ronnie standing in front of a mirror that is hung on the wall.

"What is it?" Hunter asks.

Ronnie places the tip of her finger on the mirror before speaking. "It's double sided".

"How do you know?" I ask.

"Because" she explains. "If it was a one way mirror the light would be refracting my reflection slightly and the reflection of my finger would be slightly higher than my finger. It's not which means this mirror is double sided and I'll bet anything that there is a room on the other side".

"Well, step aside" Hunter speaks, stepping forward.

"We can't just break it" Ronnie states. "Then they'll know we've been here. Besides, there has to be some sort of entrance if Elizabeth was able to go to and from the school".

I stare at a piece of the wall that is charred slightly by what looks like fire. "The best way to keep unwanted people out is to only let fire warriors in" I mumble under my breath.

"What?" Ronnie asks.

I step forward, placing my hand on the black ashy part of the wall that seems to form what looks like a handprint. "I think you have to conjure fire to get inside" I answer.