Chapter 9

The final task. This was it, this was the end of it. Cassie had to say she was relieved to get it all over with because she just wanted a normal school year once again. How many kids can say that? She guess the ones who weren't an inch from death all year. 

Each of the champions walked out as the band played the Hogwarts March, each escorted by their headmaster, except Cedric who had his father and Cassie who had Mad-Eye. Each of them stood in a circle in front of the open hedges that led into the maze. 

Cassie smiled widely when she saw Ben. He was waving up a Gryffindor banner with her name painted on it. He also had her Quidditch number (27) painted on his cheeks and her last name painted on his forehead. "Go Cassie!" He shouted. She waved at him and he blew her kiss. 

Dumbledore told them all to be quiet and everyone sat down as the band stopped playing. Since Harry and Cassie were tied for first place, they were to go into the maze first for a head start. After Dumbledore explained the rules, he made all the contestants gather around him. 

He explained the dark magic and creatures they would experience in the maze and how dangerous it will be. That didn't help ease any of them, especially Cassie. Ever since her dream, she's been very cautious around...everything. She didn't want to risk that dream coming true. 

They all went back to their places and stood looking at the paths into the maze. Cassie turned around to look at Ben and he was now looking more scared than ever. He gave her a tough smile and nodded at her. She gave him a small smile. 

"On the count of three, you may enter the maze," Dumbledore called. Of course, the moment he said "one", Mr. Filch fired the cannon. Harry and Cassie cautiously made their way into the maze. When she went to look back one more time at Ben...she saw the opening to the maze had closed. 

She looked back in front of her and stared at the long foggy path. The silence was deafening and freaking her out a bit, but she took out her wand and started moving forward. She creeped forward for the first few minutes, then started walking faster and faster. 

She turned one corner, and then another and she felt like she was just going in circles! She eventually just stopped and leaned up against the hedge to catch her breath. She started to softly cry and ask herself how this happened to her. She didn't want this. She didn't want eternal glory. She just wants to be with Ben and her friends, watching from the stands. 

A moment later, she heard something that brought her out of her weepy state. She looked up and saw the hedge moving. It was mashing together to create a closing and it was moving quickly towards her!

She immediately started running as it got closer and closer to her. Once she reached the other opening, she hit something hard and flew back. That didn't distract her though, as she quickly got up and pointed her wand at whoever it was she hit. 

It was Harry. 

"Harry," she breathed out in relief, then helped him up. "I'm sorry, the hedge--." He stopped her and said, "I know. Same thing happened to me. Come on, let's stick together." They both walked cautiously through the maze with their wands raised. Harry peeked his head around one corner, but then dodged a blast that came towards him. 

Cassie shouted, "Expelliarmus!" but he whipped his wand and threw off the spell. "Get down!" A voice behind them shouted. They turned and saw Cedric and immediately ducked as he shouted, "Expelliarmus!" He hit him and Victor flew back on to the ground. 

Turns out he was aiming for Cedric and not them. 

Cedric was close to killing Victor, but Harry stopped him. Cassie, thinking Cedric was bewitched, too, started running. Cedric chased after her and Harry chased after him. All three of them bumped and pushed each other as they raced to get to the cup. 

They stopped when they eventually saw it at the end of the path. "Yes," Harry said, before he started running again. Cassie was quick behind him. Cedric suddenly got attacked by roots that were coming from the ground and he begged the two to save him. 

"Harry! Cassie! Please!" He begged. Harry and Cassie looked to each other, then ran towards him. They pulled at the roots and hauled him up. "Thanks for that," Cedric said. "For a second there, I thought you were just going to let it get me."

"For a second there, so did I," Cassie panted. Then, he did something she did not expect. He cupped her face and kissed her. Her eyes blew wide, as did Harry's. She knew she was going to regret it later, but she did kiss him back. 

When he pulled away, he told her, "I just had to. I'm sorry, I know you're with Ben, but I had to. Who knows if I'll ever get the chance again after that." She was still in shock, but nodded, then said, "We should...we should get this game over with."

They all looked at the cup that was only a few feet away now. They couldn't catch their breath for too long because the hedges started closing in on them again. "Go, go!" Cedric shouted.

They all ran as quickly as they could and stood in front of the cup. "Take it, Harry!" Cassie shouted. "Just take it!" Cedric shouted, "You saved me, take it!" Harry looked between them and said, "Together! One, two, three!"