Chapter 10

Song - Closer (ft. Halsey) by The Chainsmokers

[Fate be Told - Chapter 10]

I sucked in a sharp breath when I felt the stinging of rubbing alcohol coming in contact with the cuts on my cheeks. I closed my eyes tightly, wincing. Tears pricked the corners of my eyes, threatening to fall due to the pain my whole body was feeling. Blood started touching my tongue as I bit down on my bottom lip. 

My fingers balled into fists as I gripped the bottom hemline of Nixon's shirt that I was wearing. I released a cry of pain. The doctor, who I learned was named Kate, stared at me with a sympathetic look. "I know it hurts, Luna," she assured me, "but the pain will go away soon. I promise."  

I gritted my teeth but nodded. She cleaned up the dry blood around my nose. Once she was done, she took off her latex gloves and threw them away in the garbage can by the small bed I was sitting on. She turned to look at me. "You should probably get some rest," Kate suggested before walking over to the door. "Beta Reese will help you to your house." 

As if on queue, Reese came walking into the room after knocking on the door. He immediately walked over to me and lifted me up bridal style. I shifted uncomfortably in his arms, not enjoying the feeling of being in the arms of someone other than my mate. 

"Thank you, Kate." I gave her a small smile and wave as Reese exited the house. 

"The pleasure is mine, Luna," she replied before adding, "And I suggest not pulling what you did earlier, again." I chuckled. 

"No promises." A smile broke out on her face as she released a laugh. 

"I like you. You'd make a great Luna. I sure hope Alpha realizes that he's got one unique mate. You're the first one in this pack to ever challenge him to a fight and not submit within a minute of it starting," she said. "You've got a lot of balls. More than any other wolf I've met." I felt my cheeks flame up and my smile grew. I replied with a 'thank you' and she nodded before shutting the front door to her house.

Carrying me, Reese began making his way over to Nixon's house silently and stiffly. When we reached the front door, he gently placed me down on my feet, still keeping his arm around me to steady me, and unlocked the door. Then I was back in his arms as he brought me over to the couch and sat me on the soft cushions. 

"Thank you," I said and he nodded. 

"Alpha won't be back until tomorrow," he responded as he turned to leave, but my big mouth opened up before he could leave the room. 

"What's his deal?" I blurted out without much thought. Reese froze in his spot and slightly turned his head so that I could only see the side of his pale face. His brown eyes stared at the wall for a few seconds, not sure whether or not he should answer. 

He sighed and ran his hand over his face before his eyes met my expectant ones. "I don't if I should tell you," he finally said with a frown, "It's not really my place to tell..."

I crossed my arms across my chest and pursed my lips. "Well why not? He's obviously not going to tell me." 

He suppressed a loud sigh before fully turning to me. "You'll find out soon. Just not now." And with that, he disappeared out of the room, leaving me all alone in Nixon's large house. My mind was fogged up as I tried processing what Reese had said. 

It's not my place to tell...

You'll find out soon...

Just not now...

I sat there, staring at the ceiling. Well shit... It must be pretty bad by the way Reese was looking at me. He must be a lot closer to Nixon than I had expected. Like they have a brotherly bond, more than I could ever understand.