Chapter 4

But they were herded into the Great Hall, and with all the pushing and shoving she couldn't get a word in. When they entered through the grand doors, they saw that no one had sat down yet. She heard murmurs that something was wrong with the tables, and it all clicked into place. She pushed her way to the front, and saw that the four gigantic house tables had been replaced with six or seven shorter tables. Banners hung all around the hall with the four house colours intertwined, which created a beautiful sight of unity.

"Welcome, students. As you may have noticed, there are no more house tables. You may sit wherever you like, with whoever you like." Professor McGonagall's voice boomed through the hall. "Please take this opportunity to mix with your peers from other houses. The Sorting will begin shortly."

Everyone just stared at their friends as if they had no idea what to do next. Hermione took a deep breath and broke out from the crowd. She chose a seat at the second table, and sighed in relief when she saw her friends following her. They all sat down and she noticed how nice it was that Luna could join them.

"What the bloody hell is this all about?" Ron asked.

"Oh, you just wait. Guess what –" Hermione started, but the return of McGonagall with the Sorting Hat silenced her.

"Good evening, it's good to see you all back for another year at Hogwarts. I'd just like to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dumbledore."

Hermione watched as almost all of the students frowned in confusion as an ancient-looking wizard rose from his seat at the staff table. She didn't blame them, as the man's long silver beard and intense blue eyes also caught her off guard for a moment.

"I didn't know Aberforth was teaching, did you?" Harry whispered to Ron and Hermione, who both shook their heads. Aberforth bowed slightly and sat back down, and McGonagall continued speaking.

"Mr Filch has asked me to remind you that the list of forbidden objects now includes Anti Gravity Hats, Nose Biting Teacups..."

Hermione tuned out to McGonagall's voice as she waited impatiently for a chance to tell everyone what had happened.

For some reason, she felt the urge to look for Malfoy. She wondered where he was sitting, whether he was with the other Slytherins in his year, or if he was alone. But then she realised what she was doing, and focused on the trembling child sitting with the Sorting Hat on his head.

He was sorted into Slytherin, causing many students from younger years to gasp and frantically whisper to their friends for some reason unbeknownst to Hermione.

"Who is he? Why is everyone so concerned that he was sorted into Slytherin?" Hermione said quietly.

"That's Uric Keddle's younger brother, Ronan. He's a muggleborn," Ginny replied with a surprised expression. Hermione also found it strange, as she had never heard of a muggleborn being sorted in Slytherin. Hogwarts really was serious about the amalgamation of the houses.

When the Sorting finally finished and the food appeared, Hermione finally blurted out her news about Malfoy.

"Haha, you're so funny 'Mione. Now seriously, who got the Head of Slytherin?" Ron asked with his mouth full, causing with bits of mushy food to spray all over the table.

Hermione screwed her nose up, but didn't have the patience to scold him. "I'm not joking, Ron. I couldn't believe it at first, either."

"What is McGonagall playing at?" Harry asked.

"Apparently Dumbledore insisted."

"Dumbledore and his bloody second chances." Harry muttered.

"Anyway, it'll all be fine. It's not like I even have to see him that often, we'll only have to talk at meetings." She felt a hand tap her on the shoulder and swivelled around to see Professor McGonagall standing behind her.

"Sorry to interrupt Ms Granger, but I forgot to mention something at our meeting earlier. The Head Prefects share dormitories on the second floor near the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor's Office. If you aren't sure where that is, I'm sure Mr Potter could point you in the right direction." She smirked at Harry, and seemed to be oblivious to the look of complete shock on Hermione's face. "It's nice to see you again, Harry."