Chapter Seven

A loud scream coming from inside the hospital causes me to whip my head over in the direction of the building, making my already dizzy head become even more so. Everything is quiet for all of ten seconds before the familiar screeches and clicking sounds start up, faint since they are coming from inside the building.

Still, my heart pounds. Finn is still in there, and those beasts will probably be out here in a matter of minutes, taking me and the baby as well. I knew we shouldn't have come here, but Finn is one of the most stubborn people I have ever met, and he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Now look at where that got us.

Another scream comes from inside the building, this time louder than the one before, snapping me somewhat out of my fever haze. Enough so that I can start moving again.

Looking back down at the baby, I see that it is still crying, its small hands flailing around in distress.

"You're not the only one who is scared," I whisper.

Knowing that I do not have much time, my hand slides away from the window and down to the handle, fumbling slightly before getting a good grip. It takes me a few tries of trying to open the door to figure out that it is locked.

"Dammit."

Bracing myself on the car, I turn myself around, trying to find anything that is heavy enough to break the car window. My eyes are becoming heavier, feeling as if they weigh a hundred pounds. Shaking my head, I force myself to focus.

Finally, my eyes land on an overturned motorcycle, the rider laying less than ten feet away from me. It's the person's helmet that catches my eye: bright red and looking heavy. Heavy enough to break this window.

But the person is laying in the middle of the street, meaning that I will have nothing to lean against to keep me upright.

The screams from inside, along with the screeches of the creatures, are becoming louder, encouraging the baby to cry even more.

Taking a deep breath, I push myself up off the car with trembling arms, my eyes focused on the rider. Everything is becoming louder, but I tune the sounds out, focusing on making it to the helmet I desperately need.

"Alden!" a familiar voice calls from the distance, but I ignore it, pushing myself further.

Surprisingly, I make it to the rider without falling down, despite my trembling legs. Bending down, I grab a hold of the helmet, yanking it off easily enough. Seems like they didn't have their chin strap on.

How unsafe.

With a satisfied grin, I stand up, prize in hand. Turning around, though, makes the grin slip from my face. Finn and others are running out of the hospital, the screeches coming from directly behind them.

Finn, though, is running straight towards me, a disapproving frown on his face and a bag in his hand. Looks like he lost his baseball bat in there.

Shaking my head, I force myself to focus again, tuning out the approaching screeches. Once I reach the reach the car, I promptly raise the helmet, allowing it to fall against the passenger side window. It takes a few hits from the helmet, but the window finally breaks, the shattering glass barely audible with the screams of both people and the creatures.

"Alden, what the hell are you doing?" Finn says, weaving in between the cars as he runs towards me. "Why aren't you in the damn car?"

"Baby," I heave, dropping the helmet before reaching inside and unlocking the back door.

"I really don't think we have known each other long enough to be calling each other that," Finn says, stopping beside me.

"No, not you." The lock clicks open and I stumble as quickly as I can towards the handle of the door. Grabbing on, I pull the door open, waving my hand in an elaborate gesture towards the crying infant. "Baby."