Chapter Thirty-Nine

We leave the clinic not long after Alena tells us that we are free to go. We stay just long enough to make sure that Mary is fine before packing up everything. Cora doesn't cry at all, just sleeps through me setting her in a wrap against my chest so that I can have my hands free.

Alena waves us goodbye as we go, before turning back to helping Mary. Damien is nowhere to be seen in the lobby, making it completely empty.

The walk home takes longer than I would like, for everyone we pass stops to coo over little Cora. My fingers twitch in agitation as some try to touch her. Luckily, I don't have to say anything. Finn manages to wrap his hand around my waist and pull us along the path. She is too vulnerable right now to be around so many people, and the heat outside is killer.

Anna, as expected, is waiting at the house for us when we arrive, letting out a hushed squeal when we step into the house.

"Oh, she is adorable," she says, closing the door behind us. Cora's face crinkles in her sleep at the sound but doesn't wake up. "What's her name?"

"Cora Madeline," Finn says, hand on the small of my back as we climb the stairs.

"Madeline?" she asks, voice sounding a little choked. "You named her after Mom?"

"Both of our moms," I say, giving my sister a small smile.

She sniffles, leaning forward to press a kiss on my cheek. "Alright, you guys go get comfortable while I start dinner and try not to cry happy tears."

"Just don't let them get in the food," I say, which earns me a flick on the arm as my sister grumbles about pesky little brothers.

Walking into the living room, I see that Remy is wide awake, while Viola is still trying to wake up as she is laying back on a sleeping Henry. He doesn't seem to mind, having been around children since he was just a pup. The twins and Olivia are nowhere in sight, so they must be off doing something with Derek.

Cora starts to snuffle against me just as I go to sit on the couch. Finn- since his eyes barely stray from his daughter- immediately starts towards the kitchen. "I'll get a bottle for her."

"Thanks."

Viola startles at my voice, her wide eyes blinking over at me. "Da!" she calls, crawling over towards the couch. It is a little difficult to maneuver her, but eventually, I get her settled next to me.

"Viola, there is someone here for you to meet," I say, brushing a few wispy strands out of her face. Remy looks up in confusion at my words, having a better understanding of their meeting. "You too, Remy, come here."

He hesitates for a moment but comes over nonetheless. He is able to climb up on the couch himself, plopping down on the other side of Viola.

"You know how Papa and Daddy have been telling you about the new baby who was joining our family?" Remy nods his head, while Viola just looks confused. "Well, she's here. Your little sister decided to come home today."

"Lil sis'er?" Remy says. "But, I alrea'y have a lil sis'er."

"I know you do, love," I say, running a hand through his hair. "But now you have two."

He doesn't say anything for a while, long enough for worry to settle in. But, he just shrugs his shoulders. "Kay."

That one word lifts a significant amount of worry off of my shoulders. I had heard that introducing older siblings to the new one could be tricky, especially since they are too young to truly understand the unique situation we had been in.

Remy leans forward, giving the now wide awake Cora a gentle pat on the head. "Hi, baby," he says, before sliding off the couch and going back to his toys, thoroughly unimpressed.