Chapter Ten

Being stuck in a car with a baby and a small puppy is not something I ever wanted to experience, but I have a feeling there will be a lot more days like this in the future. We have been driving for what feels like forever, but what is more than likely just a couple of days. Still, there is no room for any of us to stretch out, and we are all getting a little stir crazy.

Cracking open my eyes, I force myself to sit up, popping my neck to relieve some of the soreness of having my head rest against the window for the last few hours.

The sun is getting close to setting, meaning that it is somewhere around six o'clock in the evening. We haven't stopped since this morning when we had to refill the tank.

Viola wiggles against my chest, protesting my movements. She settles back down, though, once I start rubbing her back, happier than ever to be in the makeshift sling I had constructed a couple days ago. Stretching out is an impossibility in here, with the back of the car full of necessities, Viola on my chest, and Harry laying across my lap.

With a tired sigh- because one does not get much restful sleep while in a car- I look over at Finn. My eyes widen when I take in the state of him: dark circles under his eyes, drooping eyelids, and shoulders slumped as he stares out the windshield.

The exhaustion is all but screaming from him. Licking my lips, I clear my throat, letting Finn know that I am awake. He startles a little bit, and that is what really tells me that we need to stop soon. I wasn't exactly quiet in my waking up, but Finn didn't seem to have heard any of it.

"Finn," I say, making his eyes flick over to me before returning to the mostly empty road in front of us. "I think maybe we should stop soon, so all of us can get some rest. But you especially need to lay down, it looks as if you are about to drop dead any minute."

Finn lets out a low hum, not saying anything for a couple of seconds. Finally, he lets out a long breath, shoulders slumping even more.

"Alright. We will stop in the next town, see if there is an abandoned house we can stay in."

Viola starts to stir against me, rubbing her face against my chest as she wakes up. Looking down at her, I try to rub her back in soothing motions, hoping she won't get too worked up while we are in the car. She lets out a yawn, eyes blinking open as she wakes.

"Good, because I don't know how much longer any of us can stay in this car."

An affirming grunt comes from Finn, and I roll my eyes. Neither of us says anything else though, just watching as the sky changes from blue to different hues of orange.

A green road sign comes into view a few miles later, welcoming us into the town of Charity. Well then, it will be interesting to see if the town lives up to its name.

The streets are relatively lively, which catches me off guard at first. I haven't seen this many people together, none of them fearing for their lives, in a while. A few people watch as our car drives by but don't seem too wary of us, instead going about their own business once they realize we aren't a threat.

"This is so weird," I say, voice coming out slightly awed.

"Agreed," Finn says, the car slowing down as we get to the end of the main street. "It looks like there is a small bed and breakfast on the other side of the block. Maybe they have some rooms there we can book."

"Hopefully," I say with a sigh, wincing when Harry claws me in his haste to stand up and look out the window.

Finn parks the car in the small lot at the back of the bed and breakfast. Turning the key, he allows the engine to turn off, leaving us in semi silence. Viola doesn't let it last, though, letting out a small cry of displeasure now that the car isn't moving anymore.