Chapter Thirteen

The screeches are getting louder, along with the screams of the townspeople. Peeking out the window, I notice two of the beasts heading strait towards the bed and breakfast. They don't seem to notice us up here on the second level, though, intent on just getting into the building first.

A gunshot rings out, making me snap out of my daze, and I press myself closer to Finn, wanting the comfort. Viola lets out a wailing cry from the startling noise and I try to shush her, but she is refusing to be calmed.

"I think we are going to have to go out the window," Finn says, moving me behind him before opening the window.

The creatures are too distracted to notice us, and luckily the car is only about fifteen feet away from the building. Finn sticks his head out the window before letting out a pleased sound.

"Mrs. Logan has a flower trellis just a foot to the right of us," he says, before maneuvering himself out the window. Quickly, he makes his way down the trellis, reaching the ground in about ten seconds. He looks back up at me with wide eyes, motioning for me come down.

"Hold on," I mouth, before reaching down and picking up one of our bags. Finn looks surprised when I shove it out the window, but catches it anyways. He motions for me to come down again, but I just shove another bag out the window. It isn't until all three of our bags are down there that I pick up Harry.

"Ready?" I quietly ask, and Finn nods his head, body tense as he watches me hold a squirming Harry out the window. The puppy lets out a small yip when I drop him, but Finn make sure to catch him, bringing Harry against his chest and letting the puppy lick him in delight.

A scream rings the house, making me stop in my tracks and look over my shoulder. It seems that the beasts have made their way inside. Their familiar clicking is still coming from downstairs, though. Not wanting them to be able to get inside the room, I move away from the window in order to push the dresser in front of the door, trying to give myself as much time as possible. Because heights aren't my thing, and once again I am going to have to face my fear in order to survive another day.

Gunshots shake the air, and the screeching becomes louder. But it only sounds like it is coming from one beast this time instead of two. Somebody managed to kill one of the beasts, and it seems like the other one isn't too happy about that.

"Alden, come down!" Finn says from down below. Looking around the room one more time, I make sure we have everything. Viola's screams remind me that she is still held against my chest, so it is impossible to accidentally forget her.

"Alright," I whisper. Refusing to look down at the ground, I slowly maneuver myself out the window. It is a difficult task to do with only one hand since my other one is busy making sure that Viola is pressed against my chest.

"You're alright," Finn assures me, moving so that he is standing directly below the trellis. He holds it steady so it doesn't swing at all, and I am infinitely grateful. "You're doing great."

I am only about halfway down when the sound of wood snapping catches my attention. The creature must be in the room by now. My hands tighten on the metal of the trellis before I force myself to talk.

"Finn, catch Viola, we don't have much time." By now, there is only about eight feet separating us, so I feel confident that he won't let her fall.

"Okay," Finn says, once in his life not arguing with me. Giving Viola one last squeeze in order to reassure myself that she will be okay, I push myself as far away from the trellis as I can without letting go in order to drop her into Finn's waiting arms. Unfortunately, without Finn holding onto the trellis anymore, the movement causes the piece of metal to slowly fall away from the house.