Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Sit your ass down before I make you sit down," I yell from the kitchen, watching as Finn shuffles around the room.

It has been a little over two weeks since Finn woke up, and since then he has been a pain in my ass. He has never been one to be helpless, not liking it when he is not able to help me with Remy and Viola, or go to check on Mary as her due date edged closer.

Now, it is the day. The one where Mary is going to be induced. We have been waiting anxiously for her to go into labor on her own, but the baby seems to be stubborn already. Alena says the baby is measuring big, and strongly recommended for the baby to be born a little early.

It would lessen the chances of Mary having complications during the birthing process, something we have to take into consideration. While we have some skilled doctors here in our town, we do not have any of the necessary equipment to perform a caesarian section. If baby got stuck, Alena would most likely have to break their arm to get them out.

Suffice to say, we do not want to take any chances.

"I'm tired of sitting," Finn grumbles, coming into the kitchen and leaning against the counter. "Too anxious."

Letting out a long sigh, I set down the plate I had been washing and walk over to drape my arms over Finn's shoulders. He uses his unbroken arm to pull me closer, hand settling on the small of my back.

"I'm nervous, too," I tell him, leaning forward to press a soft kiss against his lips. "But worrying will get us nowhere."

"I know," Finn whispers, head tilted down so that he can rest his forehead against mine. "But Alena broke her water seven hours ago. Why hasn't she called us yet?"

Finn protests slightly when I push him over to the table, pulling out a chair and forcing him to sit down as I return to cleaning the dishes. "You know why Alena hasn't called. She said she will when Mary is close to pushing. And, since this is Mary's first child, the laboring process will last longer."

Finn just looks like a wounded puppy at my gentle chiding, an expression that I rarely ever see on his face. He is usually careful to not show when something is getting to him, pushing his own fears aside to take care of whatever needs to be done. Though this time, there is nothing he can do but wait, and he is hating it.

Walking over to the pot of pasta, I bring it over to the sink to drain the water, before setting it back down so I can stir in the sauce. "I'll call after lunch, alright?" I say, looking up at Finn. "See how far she has progressed."

Finn gives a small nod of his head, quietly accepting the plate of pasta I offer him.

Leaning over, I press a soft kiss against his cheek, brushing a few strands of hair out of his eyes. "I'm worried, too, Finn. We're in this together, remember?"

He nods his head again, but this time with a small smile on his face, not even complaining this time when I leave to gather Remy and Viola. They both clamber to the table eagerly, well, Remy does. Viola holds onto both of my hands as she takes wobbly steps after her older brother.

She is getting so big already, having mastered crawling and now almost walking. She is even much better about sleeping in her own crib, not having to snuggle with either me or Finn in order to sleep. While I am proud, my heart still aches a bit to see the baby who I rescued almost a year ago being so independent.

"Mm," Remy hums, gripping his fork and spearing some of the noodles before bringing it up to his mouth. "Noonles."

Viola lets out a cry of agreement, grabbing a few noodles before trying to shove them all in her mouth at the same time. I have given up trying to keep either of them clean during their meals, knowing that it is useless. Suffice to say, by the end of lunch, both of them are covered in sauce, Viola even managing to get some in her hair and ears.