Chapter 8

A grappling hook came out of nowhere and wrapped around Peter's leg, pulling him to the ground. He gasped as he hit the pavement hard on his back. He looked up- and saw Taskmaster standing over him.

"Well well, we meet again," he growled.

Peter slowly began to untie his leg. "Wow, dude. Who taught you how to sound like Batman?" he asked, playing for time.

"Who?" Taskmaster's voice was laced with confusion. Perfect, the teen thought.

Peter sighed heavily, pretending to be exasperated. "You know, Batman? Black cape? The man with a plan? Always doing the unexpected?" On the last word, Peter got his leg free and kicked upwards. He connected hard with Taskmaster's stomach, winding him and pushing him away. Peter stood up, summoning his courage, preparing for a fight.

Taskmaster got up and shook his head, looking dazed. Suddenly, he charged. Peter sensed him coming and leaped over his attacker. However, as he flipped around above Taskmaster, he grabbed Peter's foot and pulled him down. Peter scrambled to his feet, but Taskmaster was on him in a second. He hit him right in the arm exactly where the knife had cut him. Peter gasped in pain as he connected with the nearly-healed wound. He couldn't defend himself from the blows rained upon him. Struggling wildly, he managed to smack him across the face. It didn't do much to hurt Taskmaster, but it allowed Peter to get up.

"... that's all... you got?" Peter panted. He readied himself once again.

Taskmaster laughed scornfully. "You don't want to fight me again," he said.

"No... no I don't," Peter replied truthfully. He shot a web upwards and swung to the nearest roof. Then he pointed his web shooters at his target. "But it's the only way I can stop you."

Peter shot two webs at his quarry. Taskmaster just drew his sword and deflected the shots. But the webs had done their work and distracted him long enough for Peter to swing down and lay his enemy flat. Taskmaster flipped backwards and used his hands to propel himself back up. He landed on his feet and swiped at Peter. He dodged again and again as Taskmaster flew at him with his weapon. THUNK. The sword missed Peter's head by centimeters and hit the wall behind him so hard it buried itself deep into the bricks. Taskmaster quickly and easily pulled his weapon out of the wall. It was the opportunity that Peter had been waiting for. He punched him so hard that his feet left the ground and he tumbled backwards. Somehow, Taskmaster managed to once again land on his feet. He sheathed his sword and took off down the road. Peter swung himself high and landed on the roof of the closest building. Following Taskmaster, he swung from building to building, chasing after him. Once he was close enough, he shot a web at him. It connected, knocking him to the ground. Turning around, Taskmaster grabbed three knives from his belt and flung them at Peter. He was forced to dodge crazily to the side to avoid the weapons. He spun around, ready to begin the fight again. But Taskmaster was nowhere to be seen.