Luke

In juvie was the last place he expected to see Luke. He was afraid to ask, "What happened?" He watched the eldest Taylor who lay on a top bunk, staring at the tiled and dingy ceiling.

"He got caught stealing for the third time in a month."

"How did he possibly get caught?" The stealing in itself was unlikely, but being caught was harder to imagine.

Her sad eyes focused on the subject of their conversation. "He stopped caring."

"About what?"

"Anything...everything. He feels he has nothing to live for, nothing of value in his life, that he's useless. He's lonely, afraid and sad."

"What about the Academy? His uncle? Why aren't they helping?"

"He wants nothing to do with the Academy. His uncle has tried to get through to him, to help him, but nothing's worked. He's closed down."

The corner of Owen's lip lifted in a reminiscent smile. "I remember the first time we saw them. Sean called them the five musketeers. Victor was in charge back then, leading the way in their own assignments of helping other school kids." He shook his head, "They were so brave before I met them, what happened?"

"The innocence of children is lost to the hands of an ugly world," the angel replied sadly. She looked up at him. "You know that."

His jaw clenched as memories of his own flashed forward. "All too well."

"But you showed them how the world could be a beautiful place, with a loving family of your choosing that supports and protects you. That you gain strength from one another by." She smiled as she looked at Luke, "That even broken, you're beautiful."

He chuckled without humor, "I didn't do that."

"You gave them the strength and opportunity to see it, Owen Blackbourne. You know you did."

He let her statement hang. "Where now?" He couldn't look at Luke, a free spirit, be locked up like that.

"How about a change of scenery," she said. And took his hand once more.