Family

Owen Blackbourne couldn't get to Kota's fast enough. He wanted to see his family, look at them and know they were safe, living the lives they were meant to. With him in it.

His heart lifted with recognition of the vehicles parked outside the brick ranch house. Slamming to a stop, he jumped out of his car and rushed up the drive, not bothering to knock before entering the home.

"Merry Christmas!" he shouted, surprising everyone inside.

The faces of his family turned to him with shock. For there stood Mr. Blackbourne wearing the biggest and truest smile on his face. His grey eyes danced and his cheeks were rosy from the chilly night.

Sean let out a laugh, happy and relieved to see Owen looking so merry. He'd been worried about him as he hadn't returned his texts after the mission. Whether his friend was inebriated or had just been laid, he didn't care. It put a happy grin on his face and was worth it. "And merry Christmas to you, my friend! We'd begun to think you weren't coming."

Owen nodded, "I apologize for my tardiness Erica, I was detained but am very happy to be here now." He walked up to Kota's mom and pulled her into a hug, giving her a peck on the cheek. "Thank you for hosting this year."

"You're welcome, it's my pleasure." Erica blushed to her toes, unused to such an affectionate Mr. Blackbourne.

Owen noted how pretty and well she looked. No sign of the woman she may have been was there. Before him was a strong, loving, beautiful mother. He never wanted to see her any other way.

Over her shoulder he saw Jessica, watching them with shy interest. "Jessica." He let go of Erica and stepped around her to talk to her daughter. Relief coursed through him to see the sweet girl he'd known, not the abused one he'd caught a glimpse of. "I have something for you." He reached inside his coat pocket and pulled out an envelope, handing it to her. "Merry Christmas."

She smiled toward the floor, pushing her glasses up with her finger, "Thank you Mr. Blackbourne."

He imagined the excitement that would be on her face when she found out there were three tickets to a concert she'd been going on about for months to Kota.

Owen straightened and turned back toward the room, taking in his team, his family.

They were there.

All as they should be.

A throat cleared in the kitchen and he faced it to see Mr. Hertz grinning, a glass of eggnog in hand. "Hello Owen."

Owen blinked in surprise, "Hello Mr. Hertz, I didn't know you'd be here."

Mr. Hertz set the eggnog down, "Mrs. Lee was kind enough to allow me to intrude on your evening for a moment. I've been looking all over for you. You mind walking me out?"

Owen followed him to the door as the others busied themselves getting the food and presents ready.

Before Owen had too many moments to worry once again about the mission, Mr. Hertz stopped at the door and continued. "I wanted to let you know that all turned out well in the end. A confession was made and the wrongs were made right. You didn't fail. The mission was a success, thanks to what you did discover. We just didn't know that was what we were looking for."

Owen was stunned. "Thank you for coming by. I admit, it weighed heavily on my mind." That was an understatement.

Mr. Hertz pat Owen's shoulder, "When you get to be my age, you realize that more important than the missions are the people working with you behind them." He nodded toward the living room where the others were gathered. "Enjoy your Christmas, Owen."

He began to turn the handle and stopped, "I forgot to mention. We have a very involved mission coming up. It's regarding the Ashley Waters High School. We think your team would be perfect for it. But it's not until next school year, and we can wait to discuss it in the coming weeks."

"Certainly Mr. Hertz."

The older man grinned, "Soon enough you'll be calling me Mayor Hertz."

Owen nodded in agreement, wishing the future mayor a merry Christmas.

He shut the door and turned to find Sean behind him. He handed Owen a glass of eggnog. "So what got into you tonight? Why are you so happy?"

Owen took a sip and softly smiled, an eggnog mustache upon his lip. "I've just realized what a wonderful life we have."

"Pfft. Is that all?" Sean grinned, his mind and heart wholeheartedly agreeing. "I could have told you that."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

In the meantime, in a small and cold room somewhere in Illinois, a fifteen year old girl lay under her threadbare sheets, trying to keep the nightmares at bay. She filled her mind with dreams of a loving family and friends. Of a Christmas Eve one day filled with joy and love.

The air shifted and though she felt it, she kept her eyes closed, worried about the monsters she'd find if she opened them.

A lovely angel with new and brilliant wings looked down upon the girl, tears glistening in her eyes.

Every Christmas Eve for the past fifteen years she was allowed to visit for a moment, unknown to her daughter. Her bare feet softly padded closer to the bed. And as she did every year, she leaned down and softly whispered, "I love you, Sang." She gently kissed her forehead, sending her into a deep sleep, filled with happy dreams. It was the only present she could ever give her.

Closing her eyes, she breathed in her daughter's scent, committing it to memory for another year. Having finally earned her wings, she was granted one wish. She knew what it was and without waiting another moment, filled her heart with the words, "Let her be loved."

She didn't know how the wish would be granted or how long it would take. But it had been sent and she knew would come true.

With a final smile she gazed upon her daughter, and flickered away.

The End