Chapter 4: Toby

*YOUR POV*

​​​​​​"This case is most intriguing with its multiplicity of elements....it's many twists and turns." Basil said as he paces back and forth.

Olivia and I just finished telling him our story and, luckily, he seems interested. He turns to us and asked. "Now, you're certain you two have told me everything? The slightest detail may be important."  

"It's just as we said. And then our father was gone." Olivia replied to him.

"What do you make of it?" Dawson asked Basil. He begins to pace and Oliva follows him as I stand by Dawson. "Hmm. Ratigan's up to something. A crime of three most sinister nature no doubt. The question is....what would he want with a toy maker?" Basil asked and, suddenly, Olivia begins to scream.

The three of us look over to where she is looking and I see that bat, that kidnapped our father, is outside by the window. "Quickly Dawson, we've not a moment to lose!" Basil exclaimed as he runs out of the house. "Uh, uh I'm right behind you Basil." Dawson said. I grabbed Olivia and held her close to my chest as I run out after them and stand at the doorway. Basil looks around and kneels down to look at the sidewalk, where Fidget left behind muddy footprints.

"No sign of the blackguard anywhere." said Dawson.

"Not quite, Dawson. He left some rather unusual footprints. They obviously belong to the same fiend who abducted the girls' father--Ratigan's pegs legged lackey. I walk out, still holding on to Olivia, and look around and I found a hat.

"Uh....Basil?" I said as I pick up the hat.

He walks over to me and sees what I have. He looks up at me and smiles with delight. I smile back and hand him the hat. "A-ha! Excellent work, Miss (y/n). Ha, ha, ha!" He exclaimed and he suddenly hugged me and rushed back inside 221 1/2.

I blush at this and Olivia looks up at me. "Why are you suddenly red, (y/n)?" She asked. "Oh, am I? Um...it's nothing, Olivia." I said and she looks at me, questionable. "I'm fine, Olivia." I said and she seemed to finally drop it and looks around the street.

"There's nothing to be afraid of, Olivia." I said as Dawson and I walk back inside. "The scoundrels quite gone." Dawson said.

"Ha-ha! But not for long, Miss Flamhammer." Basil said as he takes off his robe and puts on a brown jacket.

"Flaversham!" Olivia and I said, exasperated.

"Whatever. Now, we simply pursue our peg legged friend until he leads us to the girls' father." Basil said and I set Olivia down.

"Then you'll get our daddy back?" She asked him then she rushed over to him and hugs him, tightly. I smile at this as Basil looks down at her and said. "Yes!" Then he pushes Olivia down and pulls his legs free from her grasp.

"And quite soon, if I'm not mistaken." He said.

I walk over to him and said. "Thank you so much, Basil. I really appreciate this!" I leaned in and kissed his cheek, Olivia giggled as I did this, once I pulled back he seemed surprised by this and so was I.

"Um, sorry if I overstep some boundaries...." I said but he shakes his head and repiled. "No, no. It's....it's uh...quite alright." He stammered and he and I continued to stare at each other for a few moments.

Finally, Basil regained his composer and said. "Now, um, hurry along, Dawson. We must be off to Toby's." And he retrieves an Inverness cape from a suit of armor and puts it on.

"Toby's?" Dawson asked him, confused.

"Oh, you must meet him. He's just the chap for this." Basil replied as he puts on a deerstalker hat.