Chapter 7: The Rat Trap

"Stay Toby, stay." Basil ordered the dog as we walk along the pier. Basil disguise himself as a sailor with a fake moustache.

I'm wearing black pants with brown boots and a white shirt and I have a bandana on my head. We walked to the front door of the pub called the Rat Trap.

"Uh, Basil?" Dawson said to us.

"Come, come, Dawson." Basil said as he pulls out a cigarette.

"I feel utterly ridiculous." Dawson said.

"Don't be absurd. You look perfect." I said to Dawson as he steps out in a pirate disguise and he keeps trying to tuck his shirt into his pants.

"Perfect? Perfectly foolish!" Dawson said, incredulously. Basil shushs him and he goes and opens a door.

Inside the seedy pub, the mice were all smoking, playing poker or drinking at the bar. Some are even passed out from the alcohol they've consumed. A mouse is playing  piano while an octopus is juggling three balls while tap dancing. Basil strikes a match against the wall and lights his cigarette.

I look around this pub and I become nervous. I've never been in a place like this, never had a reason to be but seeing all the mice drinking and smoking make me feel uncomfortable.

Suddenly, I feel a hand run up and down on my back and I look around and see Basil has placed his hand on my back. I give him a questioning look and he whispered. "You looked uncomfortable, so I thought I could comfort you." I smile at him and whisper. "Thank you."

Basil looks behind us and whispers to Dawson. "Stay close and do as I do." The three of us approach the bar and see a bartender cleaning his mug, eyeing us.

Basil signals him for service as he and I walk to a table. "Ah! Oh I do beg your pardon, Madam." I hear Dawson say behind us. I look over my shoulder and see a woman blowing smoke in Dawson's face.

"Quite unintentional, I assure you." Dawson coughs as everyone laughs at him. "How impertinent!" Dawson said, angrily.

"Remember Dawson, we're low life ruffians." Basil whispers to him.

"Well, I was until that...." Dawson said but Basil and I shush him as we take our seats. 

On the stage, the octopus finishes his act and catches all the balls and bows and very surprised to hear the applause coming from Dawson; the rest of the pub boo the octopus. "Get off, you eight legged bum!" One of the mice yells at him.

A barmaid approaches our table and asked. "What's your pleasure, mates?"  
"Uh...I'll have a dry sherry with....oh perhaps a twist of--" Dawson started to say before Basil clamps his hand over his mouth and starts talking to her with a tough guy accent. "Three pints for me and my shipmates. Oh, by the way. We just got into port. We're looking for an old friend of mine. Maybe you know him. Goes by the name....of Ratigan!"

The barmaid gasps and several poker players and the pianist gasp as well and look over at our table. "I, uh...never heard of him." The barmaid said and she leaves. 

The pianist starts a new song and the curtains open to reveal a salamander in a unicycle, exhausted from the effort of holding  huge frog on his shoulders and the patrons immediately boo at them.

I watch, in horror, as they throw knives and food at the salamander and frog.

As the two run off stage, Basil places his hand over mine and strokes the back of my hand with his thumb. I look over at him and give him a small smile, he smiles back as the pianist plays another song and the curtains drew back to reveal a lady mouse on stage, wearing a blue tank top, purple skirt and a pink shawl. She begins to sing and the patrons started lowering their weapons.