encountering the new girl

"Ah, fuck." Freezy groans from the living room, as he plays Fifa with Cal.

"Yo, want anything from the shop?" I ask, walking in.

Freezy doesn't turn to me but answers, "nah, we're alright."

I simply nod and walk towards the door, shutting it and walking towards the elevator. I press the button and wait about ten seconds before it reaches my floor, I step in and finally reemerge from it about four minutes later.

I walk back in to the building, texting Tobi as I do so. I wait for the elevator again, but find I am joined by someone. I awkwardly turn around to see a five foot two (or three) girl standing with a box in her hand. I see the word 'bedroom' sprawled across it in black marker and work out she's probably moving in. I smile at her and she returns it, her baby blue-coloured eyes glowing. The elevator dings and I'm pulled out of my trance. I step in and she follows, I stand at the back and she stands slightly forward. I notice she's wearing a pair of rolled-up, denim-blue skinny jeans and a green and black, buttoned-up, plaid flannel, which is loose on her small frame. A pair of black and white Converse sit on her feet and my eyes happen to catch a glimpse of a small tattoo on her ankle. I smile lightly, noticing it's a small, black anchor. Her mahogany-coloured hair is tied back in to a loose ponytail, it's not too long and not too short; just nice. I look to the pad of numbers and see two are lit up, I notice her floor is three below us, convenient. The doors ding open and she walks out and just like that she's gone. I continue my ride up and get out on my floor, walking in to my flat and leaning against the closed door.

"What's wrong with your face?" Freezy asks, noticing me.

"Nothing." I shrug, trying to act nonchalant but it obviously not working.

"She pretty?" He chuckles.

"Who?" I ask confused.

"The only time I've seen you look like that is when you see a super hot girl, so-is she nice?" He takes a bottle of water out of the fridge and sips it, waiting for my reply.

"Really nice." I breathe out, he grins.

"I know you too well Harold." He laughs, walking away.

I laugh but find my mind is still on the pretty, short girl who lives three floors down.

"Harry, are you ready?" Tobi shouts, as I run out of my room, whilst trying to tie my shoe lace.

"Ready-I-I'm ready." I breathe out, standing up straight.

"Wow, you literally just had to set your alarm-you'd think you'd just ran a marathon." Tobi shakes his head, a smile on his face.

"I'm ready, aren't I?" I raise my eyebrow and he just begins to walk out.

We walk to the elevator and get in, he presses the bottom floor number. We engage in small talk until it dings again, we walk out and that's when I see her. She is walking in, her hair down and flowing in the January wind. Her attire today consists of a wine-red shirt, tucked in to a black skater skirt. A pair of tights keep her legs insulated and brown combat boots sit on her feet. A khaki-coloured, thin, coat covers her arms and a brown bag is hanging from her shoulder. Headphones are plugged in to her ears and she seems to be in a world of her own as she pushes the door open, we being just at the door. She walks past and looks up just as we pass, her eyes glance mine and her coral-coloured lips turn up in to a smile. I react a second too late and miss my opportunity to smile back. I turn back to see her walking to the elevator and sigh, knowing I'll never catch her again.