must learn new adjectives

"Cal, hurry the fuck up man." I shout, waiting by the door.

"I'm coming, fucking hold on." He shouts back, walking out from his room.

"You're so slow." I notice, as we walk out.

"Fuck off." He chuckles, pressing the button for the lift.

We wait less than thirty seconds before it reaches us. We walk in and just as I press the lobby I notice the third floor down has lit up. She's getting on. The doors slide open as we reach her floor, but I feel my heart sink as I notice it's someone else who lives on her floor. They smile at us and I return it; a gnawing feeling eating away at me.

"Why don't you just talk to her?" Cal asks, as we walk through the shopping centre.

"I did that-she did not like it." I shake my head.

"Try harder." He shrugs.

"Thanks, genius." I sarcastically retort.

"She seems nice; maybe she's just anxious or something?" He offers a solution.

"She talked to Callum though? Maybe she was just freaked out on that day?" I try to convince myself.

"Yeah man, maybe." He nods, agreeing.

Cal stayed behind at the bar with the rest of the boys and I decided I just wasn't in the mood. I walk on to our street, noticing someone walking in front of me. I squint and under the streetlight I realise it's her straight away. Her head is down but springs up as she turns to the side and brings her camera up to her eye. She kneels forward slightly and I realise she's taking a photo of the lamppost opposite, a single beam of light spreading across the concrete. She brings the camera down slightly and looks at the photo, by this time, I am only ten seconds away from reaching her. She moves on, obviously not sensing my presence or not hearing me. She walks in to the building and my pace quickens, trying to keep up with her; her legs may be short but her pace is faster than mine by far. I rush in to the lobby and to the elevator. The doors are about to close and I feel my breath catch when she presses the button again. The doors open and she looks at me nervously, but offers me a smile.

I return it.

I stand right next to her, not behind, not in front; right next to. I sense her slight discomfort but decide it's now or never.

"I saw you, uh-taking photos, is that what you do?" I ask, she looks down to her feet.

She nods.

Finally, something.

"Cool, photography is-it's cool." Nice going Harry, making yourself seem like a ten year old who is only capable of simple adjectives.

She smiles slightly, "yeah."

"I'm Harry." I introduce myself and hope she'll return the introduction.

I watch the hesitation grow on her face and despite already knowing her name I hope she'll tell me it.

"Delilah." She mumbles, her eyes still not leaving the floor.

"It's good to finally-uh, meet you." I realise how stupid that sounds but she doesn't look fazed.

"Yeah." She seems nervous, so I leave the conversation there.

The doors ding open and I see her begin to walk out but her feet seem hesitant, then she speaks:

"Bye, Harry." 

It was so simple yet I feel the blood swim around my body in swirls and spirals and warm me up. It's a nice feeling. A Delilah-kind of feeling.

"Bye, Delilah." I reply, she smiles before walking away, the doors closing on her.

I grin, not being able to wipe the happiness away from my face.

She doesn't hate me.

Thank God.

A/N short and sweet chapter

sorry about that

most of the chapters will be less than 1,000 words, makes more chapters but less content, something I don't usually do lol

I'm trying to update this and my other Sidemen-related books asap since I go back to school soon so sorry if I'm bombarding you with loads of updates:)