CHAPTER NINETEEN: Reunion

The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil.

-Walt Disney.

Happy Diwali guys 🌟✨. Play safe and hope this year brings you all some really great fortunes.

Hope you guys like the song 😍.

Neith's Pov

I was woken up by a gentle pair of hands. I stirred and mourned about before popping one eye open. The sunlight pierced through the curtains and I immediately shut them again.

The late morning breeze was subtle. I hated getting up in the mornings mostly because I was always sore from my workouts but it seems like I over slept again.

Finally opening both my eyes, I came face to face with a girl I didn't seem to recognize. I lay in my bed and just stared at her in confusion.

The girl looked a few years older than me. Her soft black hair fell to her shoulders. They were decorated with some gold colored glass beads. She wore a long brown dress which meant she was one of the maids of the palace.

''Your Highness, you need to get up," she said in a soft voice, keeping her head bent low.

"Who are you?'' I asked, willing myself to sit up.

''I'm Maiu. I will be your personal maid from today your Highness," the girl said, her head still bent.

"Please lift your head. You don't have to bend down so much. And please don't call me your Highness either," I said, slightly uncomfortable with the situation.

"But what do I call you then?" Maiu asked lifting her head. Her black eyes looked slightly confused.

"Call me Neith," I said giving her a small smile.

"I couldn't possibly call your Highness by her name. If anyone heard I would be punished severely," Maiu said. Fear written all over her face.

"No one would do such a thing besides I'm a commoner just like you so please just call me Neith," I said.

"But you're the Queen now. I would feel uncomfortable calling you by your name," Maiu continued, her eyes still glued to the ground. I sighed, seems like I had to think of something else to make her stop calling me that.

"Wait you said you would be my personal maid from today? Who appointed you?" I asked suddenly recalling what she said before. Perhaps this was Aahotep's doing?

"That would be former Queen Nefertiti," Maiu said slowly looking up to me.

Why would she appoint me a personal maid?

"But why?" I asked looking at her confused.

"So I can look after all your needs of course?" Maiu stated it as if it were a simple fact.

"My needs? Like what?" I asked still trying to understand what she meant.

"Like preparing your bath and meals, getting you dressed and accompanying you on walks," Maiu said.

I looked at her horrified. I wasn't a baby. I could do all that by myself. I had to speak to Aahotep about this.

"Well that's not something I would require any help with. I can do all that on my own," I said trying to sound polite.

"But it's my duty to help you," Maiu said looking at me with her big black eyes. I sighed, maybe for today I would let her help me.

"Alright, I'm pretty hungry so I would like to eat something," I said to her.