Chapter 12 - Luke Donahue

C H A P T E R T W E L V E - LUKE DONAHUE

Scarlett's POV

Heavy pounding is heard on my front door. My mom comes home from work around 6:00, and it's only 3:20. I had already showered and changed my clothes. I'm wearing my I ❤️ NY shirt, with some flannel pants. My hair was thrown up in a ponytail. I open my front door to find Luke waiting with his backpack over his shoulders and a big grin on his face.

"Hey." He said walking into my house. He was still dressed in today's school clothes. I felt like the weird one dressed in my pajamas.

"So, what do you think the weather will be like in three weeks?" I laugh to him, while we go and sit down in the dining room.

"I was thinking it would be sunny in the morning and then would rain in the afternoon," since it's Springtime... and rain is common." He says intellectually.

"Oh, I was actually thinking the opposite." I say pausing. "like, it would rain the night before, making the ground moist, and then it would clear up and become sunny."

He shrugged his shoulders, and thought over the two choices. "Well, it could also be sunny the whole day, I don't know." He giggles slightly.

"Do you want anything to eat?" I ask him, searching for something to say. Things between us were awkward for some reason.

"Uh- sure." He says getting up from the table and following me to the pantry. I show him the food in the pantry and fridge and we agree on splitting some Oreos.

"What's that?" He asks pointing to the little black square in the corner of the kitchen.

"It's just the recorder. My mom likes to know what I'm doing all the time, so she hid video recorders. So be careful of what you do in my house." I half-jokingly laughed.

I walked back over to the table with Luke and we ate the Oreos. By 5:30, we're already done. We write down our predictions and talked about the play. He left 2 seconds ago, and I'm sitting on my bed still looking out my window.

I was wondering what Brent and Jack were doing. But mostly Jack. Is that wrong? I decided to text Brent and ask him about his day. But instead of him texting me, he rang my doorbell instead.

"Brent! I didn't expect you to come over."

He gave me a hug and followed me back to my bedroom.

"I talked to Mr. Bolt about changing Luke out for me to help you with the play." He said to me very fast.

My mind tries to reevaluate what he had just told me.

"What?, why."

"Because I already know you have to deal with him for Chemistry." He said with a huge smile on his face.

"But, it's actually easier. Instead of having two different people over, I can just have Luke. And it's... it's just easier Brent." I tell him.

"Scarlett, I know you're mad at me, but I don't want you to be. Come here." He said patting his lap. I scoot myself over to his lap, and sit on him. I look back at his head and smile to him.

"I'm not mad at you anymore, just a bit irritated."

"Well, I don't want you to be." He said kissing my neck. He moves his lips up to my hair, and starts to smell it. He makes me fall over on top of him, making him kiss me on the lips. He starts to rummage through my hair, and starts laughing with me.

Then my mind looks back to the dream the other night. I try not to see those images of him feeling me, but they come to me, and scare me. I get off of Brent, and walk out of the room. I run to the refrigerator and get a glass of water to calm and cool me off.

"Scarlett! What's wrong?" He asks running after me.

"Just leave. Please." I say to him calmly.

"Scarlett." He whispers.

"Leave. PLEASE!" I yell to him.

He leaves in a heartbeat, slamming the door behind him. I hear him start the motor and drive off, just in time for my mom to arrive home. My mind is still filled with those dirty thoughts of Brent, touching me, and smothering me. They can't escape me.

The door opens, as the wind from the outside blows onto me, cooling my thoughts and body. My mother sets her things down and kisses my forehead running up the stairs to change and fix dinner.

I do the usual, and turn on the tv and wait for my mom to return.

"Sorry I was late." My mom says to me across the table as we are eating spaghetti and salad.

I nod my head and twist my spaghetti around.

"Scarlett are you alright?" She asks worriedly. She gets up form her chair and feels my forehead.

"You don't have a fever. What's wrong Scarlett, what's on your mind." She continues sitting back down and swirling her noddles and putting them in her mouth.

I have millions of things going on in my mind, but I don't want to tell her any. But I have to, to just get it off my chest.

She continues to look at me worriedly when I begin to tell her my thoughts and feelings.

"Well, I'm dating Brent. Brent Madison." I say slowly.

"That's great Scarlett." My mother says interrupting me.

"Yeah, uh. And Luke Donahue is my spring festival partner." I say.

I tell her about the projects Principal Delecky had assigned for us, and Luke being my partner for both of them. I tell her about Brent and how he hurt me the other day, but she seems fine with it. I also tell her about Brent's jealousness.

"Mom," I say pausing in between. "Jack has been on my mind too." I say fastly hoping she didn't hear what I had said.

"What do you mean?" She asks raising her eyebrows and her voice.

"I don't know. Is it weird that I think about him more nowadays than Brent?"

"Not entirely. Are you growing feelings for him again?" She asks standing up from the table and walking to the kitchen to clear off the dishes.

"No." I say quietly.

"Good you better not." She says sitting back down and taking to me.

"I just have one question." I say not letting her say ok. "Is it weird to be jealous of Lucy and Jack?" I ask her. I had already told her about how they were going to be doing a part together in the play for the Festival

"Yes. You're supposed to be getting over him, not falling for him again." She says raising her voice again. She slams her hands against her face, yelling at me.

"Scarlett Rose McAllister. You need to think about your decisions. You're almost in college. You need to be thinking about your studies, not some ridiculous hormonal boys. You need to put yourself first. Not these disgusting losers you call nice guys."

"Mother. Let me say one thing. The only reason why you don't want me with some guy, is because you've never been with one. You're scared that I'll end up with a broken heart like you, but that's wrong. Just because you never found someone to love you, doesn't mean I won't."

"Go to your room!" She yells slamming her cup to the floor, causing it to shatter.

I ran upstairs, slamming the door behind me. Were the words I said to my mother hurtful? yes. But my mother had hurt me in the past too. She always wanted the best for me, she always wanted me to be a good student. But I didn't know If I could fit her requirements. I'm only human, right?