2 - Homecoming

"Mom, if I pull this up any higher, my ass will hang out!" I say as I adjust my dress again

My mom isn't a fan of the dress I've picked out, but this is my Homecoming, not hers. Besides, I convinced her that my style is going to change as I get older. To this day, I know she's having trouble coping with that fact. She wants me to stay my innocent childhood self. Unfortunately for her, the world we live in won't allow that to happen.

"I want you looking perfect," she insists, making sure the last of my curls are firm and plush. "He's right downstairs."

"Mom, I'm not marrying the guy." I cross my arms, giving my boobs an extra lift, on top of the bra, and the fact that my dress has no straps. I know Mom isn't fond of me choosing black for the color of my dress ("you're not going to a funeral, Willa!"), but I convinced her to let me wear it.

"Still, you want to blow him away."

"Oh, god, I took that so wrong." I cringe.

"Not my fault you've got a mind in the gutter." She puts a necklace around my neck. "There, the last touch. Let me see." She turns me around so she can give the final once-over. I see tears pool in her dark eyes.

"Please don't start crying," I plea. "Because when you start, I start."

My mom can't deny me; I look a lot like her, from hair to the eyes. Personality is a bit of a different story, she claims I got that from my dad. My dad who I don't know since he's never been in the picture. Truth be told, I'm not even sure she knows who my dad is; she's never told me anything. She brushes off the topic and always moves on to something else.

"Alright, I promise I'll be quick with pictures so you aren't late!" Mom nudges me out of my bedroom. She makes sure I make my slow entrance down the stairs. My face flushes as I see Cole's longing gaze on me.

As my foot hits the floor at the last step, like a gentleman, he helps me down. He's trying his hardest to not stare at anything below my face.

"Surprise?" I whisper sheepishly.

"You look amazing," he fawns. He pulls me closer, our noses touching.

"Ah-ah!" Mom scolds. Cole and I jump apart, and his face goes beet-red. "You can do that after I'm done with pictures."

"Prepare to be blinded," I whisper to Cole as Mom pulls out her phone.

Thankfully, for Cole and I, the flash is off.

* * *

We are the talk of Homecoming when we make our way inside the gym.

Lights are dimmed, and the DJ is playing loud music that echoes too much in the vast space. There's already a grinding pit when we get there.

Marley and her date, Jacob, greet us. Her red curls are pulled back out of her face. Her dress is an aqua, shimmering number, and she's wearing smaller heels than most. She's like me, not much of a heel person.