Chapter Eighteen | Take The Reins

Chapter Eighteen

Take The Reins

Saturday 10th, May

Seagulls circle above and the wind picks up as Max's hand reaches for mine

Seagulls circle above and the wind picks up as Max's hand reaches for mine. The sea is dark but it's still daylight. As we walk towards it, I notice I don't have my sandals on.

When I tell Max I've lost them, he just laughs and kisses my cheek.

And he whispers something into the crook of my neck, holding me close as the sun rises up and up and up and ring and ring and ring...?

The shrill sound of my phone vibrating underneath my pillow jolts me straight out of dreaming and into the harsh light of an early Saturday morning.

Seven-thirty two to be exact. The earliest I've woken for months, if not years.

A number I don't recognise flashes on the screen as I fumble for it. I contemplate hanging up but then they'd probably call back and I'd quite like to get back to dreaming about Max whispering and kissing my cheeks.

"Hello?" My voice is groggy. I clear my throat and repeat. "Hello, who is this?"

"Josie! It's Libby."

I wince at how loud she is and my sleepy head struggles to keep up with how fast she talks.

"How did you get my number?" I whisper, rolling over to cup the phone so I don't wake my parents in the next room. "And why are you calling so early?"

The phone line crackles, then Libby's voice returns. "Max had it pinned to the shine he's got for you in his bedroom."

Pulling away from her laughter, I tell her that's not even funny and she responds with the truth, that she got it from his notice board, a post-it note.

"I very much doubt Max owns any pink heart post-it notes," I groan, hoping she'll soon get to the point of why she's called.

"Maybe not, anyways, I haven't got all day."

"You're the one cracking jokes."

Libby tuts. "Fine. Whatever. Look Josie, I have about three minutes before my parents notice I'm using the landline."

"You might want to lower your voice then," I offer.

"I need to ask for a favour."

Thankfully she can't see my eyes roll so hard. I grip the phone. No good can come from this. "Okay..."

"A friend rom schools boyfriend's cousin is throwing a huge party tonight. Her parents are away and like, it's the biggest one before prom and I got an invite."

"Cool."

"And because I've been doing all my chores and behaving, my dad said I'm allowed to stay over at my new friend's house, for a lovely, lights out by eleven sleepover."