Chapter Twenty-Four | Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Chapter Twenty-Four

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Friday 5th, June

I'd broken out into a sweat long before I started my quest to find Maddie, due the return of the warm weather, but she doesn't know that

Nor does she realise that I've been jogging round the whole of college, searching for her before I'm due to help Max, Mel and their mum set up for their annual BBQ.

But of course, Maddie just looks at me like I'm a swamp monster that shouldn't be anywhere near, despite the fact I know more than I should about her unfortunate family situation.

"Please, I just need a few minutes," I plead, hoping to pull her away from a gaggle of girls who were never friendly to me either at high school and who obviously find it bizarre she's giving me the time of day.

"Fine," she huffs. I know she's dying to tell me to fuck off but she can't. She knows I know too much. She has to find it within herself to crack a smile, even if it's killing her.

We walk down the side path by the music block, to a small shelter I know will be clear of any eavesdropping students.

"What do you want Josie?" Maddie says, holding her arms tight across her chest. "I don't have all day."

"Neither do I," I counter, taking a deep breath, ready to rattle off the reason why I've dragged her away.

"Go on then, I'm waiting." She fixes her pointy gaze right on me, unflinching.

"I've been thinking about this talent show bet. I don't want your money."

"Good, because I need it more than ever now, what with my dad freezing my debit cards, the bastard."

Okay. So far so good.

"What I mean is that, instead of your money I'd rather something else, that's if I win."

Maddie's eyebrows rise high and she laughs. "I'm not going to prom with you or being your friend, if that's what you want."

As she pretends to gag, I check over my shoulder that no one is lurking about and I cut through her sarcastic remark. "Not that. Something else."

"Spit it out."

"I want you to apologise to Max."

Her peach pink lips lock into a pout. She squeezes out a sharp, "Excuse me?" and falls back into looking pissed off.

I take a step away. "You heard me. I want you to say sorry, properly, like you mean it for what you did to him and put him through."

"What are you now, his mum? Poor baby," Maddie scoffs.