Chapter Thirty-Four | Where The Lines Overlap

Chapter Thirty-Four

Where The Lines Overlap

"No one is as lucky as us,
We're not at the end, but oh we already won."

And the winner is

And the winner is...

Jason and his sodding seven-piece, Bon Jovi loving ensemble, who race up to the stage and collect their shared gift vouchers to a local Sports Center like they've won a Grammy.

Then, they each take it in turns to lift up a plastic 1st place gold statue, made by the drama prop students for the local newspaper photographer, before the base falls off and the gold paint stains their hands.

And even though it's not nearly as rock and roll an ending as I'd imagined, I'm not too disappointed. I mean, we all are to some degree, but none of us are majorly surprised.

The competition was tough.

We're just glad we made it through and did not only our song, but months of practice and hard work justice.

"And look on the bright side, Josie, at least we placed higher than Spencer and his stupid football stunts and you get to keep your name," Libby says, as we all filter out from the music hall and onto the small grassy knoll, taking in the warmth of a July night.

"Yeah, I mean technically we did beat Maddie, she didn't even get a mention, but we also didn't win," Mel sighs, raising her arm to catch Linda's attention as she waits by the old smoking shelter for us.

"So the bet's null and void," I nod, turning to loop my arm through Max's.

He hugs it tight. "I think I'll survive without an apology. I mean, I know it sounds awful, but I believe karma's already making amends with Maddie."

"True, and I do like prefer my name just the way it is."

"As it should be," he laughs.

Throwing out her arms to embrace us all in a giant hug, Linda tells us that we were all amazing. "Spectacular, honestly! I wanted an encore! And, personally, though this may make me sound terribly bias, I do think you we're robbed."

Max brushes off his mums fussing over the state of his sweat slicked hair and cheeks, and laughs, "Cheers Mum."

"I know I'm supposed to say it's the taking part that counts, and whilst that's true, I do believe you guys we're the best tonight. I mean, Josie's singing...wow, powerful! And Mel, the bass slayer, what a force!" Linda says, her voice high and excited as she compliments us one by one. "And Libby, blimey! How talented are you young lady?"

"Saving the best till last?" Max jokes, gently nudging her arm. He throws me a quick wink and a cheeky grin.

Linda pauses, pretending like she's trying hard to remember, until she can't anymore. "Oh of course, and Max. I think it's safe to say that you gave those Bon Jovi lads a run for their money up there, shredding away."