Chapter Twenty-Nine | Parties Break Hearts

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Parties Break Hearts

We've barely made it halfway through the main hall of Becky's humungous house, one I imagine my mum probably helped sell once upon a time, before Libby excitedly corners us

"You made it!" She beams, giving us a glazed eyes look. "I was starting to think you might not show."

I smile at Max and he smiles back, before squeezing my hand knowingly.

Libby takes a sip of her beer and then chokes it back. "Ah, I see. Thought there must be a reason why you're both grinning like lovesick fools."

Holding one hand over my ear as the music booms out from each room lined up either side of the grand hallway, I pretend I've no idea what she means.

"Can I borrow her for a second?"

Max doesn't have time to agree before Libby's latched onto my arm, dragging me towards a room filled with colourful balloons. "Guess I'll go get us a drink then..."

I whisper a sorry as she kicks balloons out our path and shuts the door. Leaning against it, like she needs the support, Libby's brows dance and her lips grow into a wide grin.

"So, spill!"

"Spill what?"

She sighs heavily at me. "What happened? I don't think I've ever seen you look so happy."

Whilst Libby laughs into the neck of her beer bottle, I grab at a rogue pink balloon. The static makes the hairs on my arm stand up. "Not much."

"Ah come on!"

"It didn't happen," I say, emphasis on the didn't part. "There was no..." My voice strains as I whisper, "sex."

"Then why are you smiling?"

Tossing the balloon over, I shrug, kicking at another. "Because everything else was still fun."

"Sure..."

"We kind of lost track of time, that's why we are late. Maybe if we didn't come here we might have, but I'm not upset about it. I know it'll happen soon."

Libby's eyes widen as my words sink in. "Did you touch it?"

"Libby!"

"What?"

"I'm not saying anything more about it," I pretend to zip my lips shut and I fold my arms.

"Well, I'm glad someone had some fun at least, prom was pointless, but that was to be expected, let's just hope this party makes up for it."

"That bad huh?"

She nods, "Yeah, Lindsey Parrish claimed the dance floor first song, thinks she's like Beyonce or something. Someone puked by the buffet table. Someone ate all the food and the mini pizza slices. Trust me, it sucked way more than you did tonight."