Chapter Twenty-One | First Date

Chapter Twenty-One

First Date

Thursday 28th, May

Mel makes it obvious that her patience's worn thin because she adjusts the car wing mirror for the ninth time and tuts loudly like she's got a giant frog lodged in her throat

But I don't blame her. None of us are too happy to be sat stuck waiting for Libby to sneak her way out her house and come meet us in Lawrence Avenue.

Half an hour has passed since she was supposed to arrive, but it feels like forever and Max thinks her parents have sussed out that this time around she really isn't staying over at mine.

This time around we're Brigham Town bound, ready to soak up the sounds of Fear Less Youth, the hottest band in the world right now (at least according to Mel and Max, both scarily enthusiastic) and watch them play a sold out show.

But obviously Libby's thrown a potential spanner in the works and if her parents have caught her out in a lie, then none of us will make it to the gig in time.

"I've been waiting sodding months for this," Mel sighs in frustration, wrapping her knuckle against the steering wheel. "If she doesn't show up in five then we're out of here. Sorry, but I'm not missing Fear Less Youth."

Max nods and leans against the window. There's a gap between us in the back seat but whenever Mel's not watching we close it, to twist or brush our fingers into each others.

We've been like this all the wait for Libby to show and all afternoon too, and the day before.

In fact, we've been at one another's side for the past two weeks with little separation. Which is fine by me because ever since we untangled any doubt it's been like existing in a cosy bubble made for only two.

And though the heatwave might have died down, swapped out for grey skies and Southbrook's finest drizzle, it's not put any such dampener on mine and Max's feelings for each other.

There's been way too much kissing for that to happen. It's been a blissful half term so far, away from college and distraction. The only trace of routine being band practice, and even then Libby's been so busy cramming study time for her upcoming exams that we've cut it short most days.

Let's just say that we've not let a moment go to waste and that Max is hands down the best kisser, which is handy because we've been doing a lot of it.

And being in a constant state of blush doesn't quite feel like such a curse when it's born from being kissed like there might not ever be a tomorrow.

I almost feel normal.

"Earth to Josie," Mel says, the reflection of her dark eyes in the wing mirror hooking mine. I shake my head free of reminiscing and sit up straight.