Day zero

Ariel swam excitedly from the abandoned reef to her family's royal caves, apologising to each creature she collided with due to her fast movement. Her platinum hair flowed gracefully behind her as she glided through the water.

She hurried straight towards her grandmother's cave, not wanting to spare a single second. "Ariel dear what has you in such a hurry?" She asked, looking at her flushed state.

Ariel pouted in sadness, upset by her grandmother's short-term memory. "Grandmother you haven't forgotten, have you?"

Her grandmother stared blankly towards her in response. "Haven't forgotten what dear?"

"My coming of age," She said frowning. "I visit the surface tomorrow."

Ariel's grandmother smiled mischievously. "I was pulling your tail dear, or as the surface dwellers would say: 'I was just pulling your leg'. How could I forget the coming of age of my favourite grandchild?" Unlike her six older sisters, Ariel was the mirror image of her grandmother (the younger version of course). Her onyx tail contrasted with her blonde, almost white-like hair that reached her bellybutton and the golden hue of her eyes matched the jewels in her crown.

The rest of her sisters had magnificent green tails and striking red hair with sea-blue eyes, and had found mermen to marry at the age of fourteen. At times her appearance made Ariel feel like the black sheep of her siblings, as they all shared the physical attributes of their late mother and she didn't. Her birth mother was killed by a shiny contraption that was able to swiftly move across the top of the waters a few days after she was born, meaning that she never had the chance to know her.

When she turned fourteen her father expected her to follow in the footsteps of her sisters and marry. He spent a fortune on banquets and balls for her to meet a husband, with the only outcome being a large dent in his pocket. Ariel made an effort in trying to please her father, but however hard she tried she just didn't find herself attracted to mermen. She felt attracted to other mermaids.

Upon hearing this her father banned all contact with any mermaid that wasn't a relative in an attempt to 'cure' her. Due to her father's actions Ariel was unable to act on the feelings she was having, and began to feel more isolated than ever. All of her sisters had felt love at some point in their lives and she hadn't. All because the love she wanted to experience was with a mermaid, instead of a merman.

The discrimination she had endured for the the past two years would all be worth it when she visited the surface, where people would be without judgement and prejudice.

After the conversation she had with her grandmother Ariel retired to her cave and lay on her large shell bed, pulling the seaweed blanket up to her chin for warmth.

The white glow of the moon illuminated the sea so brightly it was almost as though it was taunting her. It was able stay on the surface and be classed as beautiful in its natural form, whereas she was trapped down under the sea, ridiculed by her people for a choice she didn't even make.

Word count: 545 (minus authors note)

If you've made it this far thank you for reading! I would really appreciate some criticism as there's always room for improvement when it comes to writing!

If you're used to my writing you know my chapters are usually five tines as long, but as this is a short story that needs to be completed by the 30th November I can't have chapters that last that long as the plot will be dragged out and I will exceed the maximum amount of words allowed.

I don't think MHB will be updated this week, I've been having serious writers block with it and I don't want to force myself to write, I'm sorry!

-Bella