Day two

By the time Ariel had reached the deep depth of the sea in which the sea-witch inhabited it was already daytime. She knew that the sea-witch would also be awake during the night, but she felt more comfortable and confident visiting her in the day.

She hesitantly swam into the darkest cave and called out. "H-hello?" She said, searching for any signs of life with her eyes. "is anyone in h-" She turned around and screamed as a cold, calloused hand held her left wrist in a tight grip.

"Silence," The sea-witch hissed. Ariel stopped screaming and gulped loudly. "I know why you are here, child."

"Y-you do?" She asked, looking at the sea-witch's appearance. Her her flawless, doll-like appearance was contradicted by herawful, scratchy voice. Her beauty was intimidating, but didn't continue in her hands or her ugly, black tentacles.

Ariel felt vulnerable are the sea-witch's onyx eyes bored through her golden ones, observing her every thought. "Of course I do," She scolded, squinting towards her. " you wish to become human so that you are able to visit to surface and be with the one your heart desires, do you not?"

Ariel nodded meekly in response. "And you require my services in doing so?" She nodded again. "be aware that my services do not come without a price."

"I am willing to pay whatever you require, my family is very affluent. My father is the ki-

"I know who your father is!" She snapped. Ariel flinched at her outburst, and wrapped her arms around herself protectively. "besides," She said, clapping her hands once to illuminate the cave. "it isn't money that I want."

Ariel looked towards the witch in confusion."If it is not money that I can use to pay for your services what else would you want?"

The witch smiled wickedly. "Your voice."

"M-my voice?" She stuttered.

"Yes," The witch clarified. "if it is too much of a cost for you then I am sure that you won't mind watching your beloved having her lips kept warm by those of the human male that found her."

"No, I'll do it!" She said almost instantly.

Ariel remembered that the witch had been holding her wrist as she let it go. She held up the palm of the hand she was using to hold Ariel's wrist with and rotated her other hand above it. The witch's palm was surrounded by white water that formed into a glass vial with a liquid of the same colour.

"Swim to the surface and drink this before the sun sets. Your tail will divide and shrink, until it becomes what human beings call legs," She instructed, handing the vial to her. "but every time your foot touches the ground, it will feel as though you are walking on knives so sharp that blood must flow. If you cannot make the human fall so deeply in love with you that she forgets both her father and mother because her every thought concerns only you, your heart will break the first morning after she has loved another and you will become nothing but foam upon the ocean." She warned.

A whirl of water surrounded Ariel, almost like a cage as she felt the breath be sucked out of her body. She tried to cry out but her efforts were to no avail. Her voice was gone, and there was nothing she could do about it.

The witch's eyes turned white just as the water stilled. "You fell in love with the human by just a glance, you have the chance for her to do the same," The witch's voice was no longer unappealing to the ears, as it was identical to the way Ariel's once was. All creatures across the seven seas knew that Ariel had the most entrancing singing voice. "Et abiit." Once those word left the witch's mouth, Ariel felt herself involuntarily rise out of the cave and towards the surface.

She kept a tight grip on the vial as she knew that she wouldn't be able to get it back if she dropped it. The vial meant more to her than life itself, as she would rather die than not be able to feel love with a person she truly wanted to be with.

She re-gained the ability to move after she emerged out of the water for the second time in the past twelve hours. She used her memory and swam back to the beach that she had brought the human to after she had fallen into the water.

She sat in a way that kept her tail in the water and her body out of it. She quickly opened the vial and downed the liquid before her lungs dried out. A searing hot pain shot through her tail, it felt as though someone had stuck a sharp piece of coral in the middle of her tail and ripped through the flesh.

Ariel looked down towards her tail to find that it was now in two, bloody pieces. It began to lighten to the same ivory hue as the rest of her body and she felt tight constricting feeling on the already agonizing pieces. She writhed her body in pain and lifted her face towards the sky, panting heavily.

Although she was in an immense amount of pain, Ariel would be willing to go through it every hour if it meant that she would get to see the human girl again. She would also never get her voice back if it meant she would get to see the human girl again.

All of the pain stopped, and Ariel slowly looked down towards what used to be her tail. What looked like two long, ivory arms with strange hands and fingers were what replaced her once beautiful, black tail.

After that, she fell softly to the side and passed out from both pain and exhaustion. That was the price Ariel was willing to pay for love.

Word count 966 (excluding authors note, I forgot to do this in the last chap so i'll probs go back and do it)

Erica will meet Ariel for the first time in the next chap! :)

Yesterday I said I would update today (Sunday) and since i'm still up at 12:52 am i decided i would update right now as it technically is the next day and the chapter is finished.

-Bella