Chapter the Fourth

MIKE'S POV

    I jolt out of my bed in the morning. Usually when I wake up I sit in my bed for a bit and sulk but not today. Everything I've wished for for the last two years has finally happened.

    I run downstairs, a huge smile on my face. My mother sees me and double takes a bit.

    "Well hello Michael, what's with the good mood?" She asks with a smile herself.

    "Nothing, just a beautiful day." I reply, taking some of the waffles she's making and kissing her on the cheek. She looks shocked.

    I sit down at the table and Nancy's looking at me like I'm holding hands with the demogorgon. "What's up?" She whispers in my ear.

    "Can't a boy just be happy" I tell her out loud. She looks at me and then goes back to her food, smiling a bit.

    After breakfast, I run downstairs to El.

    "Hey El, here are some eggos. When we tell my mom about you this afternoon, you'll finally be able to eat real food. And we'll do it when the boys are here so she went send you away. She wouldn't do that with company, she's too scared of her reputation." El nods and smiles a bit. I smile back at her. I don't understand why my life is suddenly so amazing, but I won't question it. As I'm leaving for school, I grab the old pink dress she was wearing when I found her and stuffed it in my bag.

    I ride to school and see Dustin, Lucas, and Will hanging around by the bikes. I run up to them, beaming. They look just as surprised as my family to see me smiling.

    "So, big news" I exclaim.

    "You finally got a girlfriend?" Dustin shouts.

    "No, you idiot and you can't talk, you've never even kissed a girl. Anyway, I was El-hunting in the woods yesterday and well, I hunted her down. I found El!"

    There was a moment of silence. All the boys stared at my with dumbfounded looks until Lucas yelled, "Bullshit! You've been looking for her for years, why now"

    "I have no idea," I respond, "but I did and that's all that matters." Dustin looks at me with big, excited eyes. Lucas is opening his mouth to question my reliability when Dustin cuts him off, asking me while at the same time seeming like he's asking himself "You found her?" I nod, smiling. "You found her, you found her, she's back! El's back!" He starts jumping around. Lucas rolls his eyes. "Idiot, stop believing him so quickly, Mike was crazy in love with her, he could just be imagining it." I start to protest the love part but Lucas interrupts me. "No Mike, we all know it and you can't deny it."

    I look at him and sigh. "You're right, I have no proof that I found her I guess." And then I smirk and pull her dress out of my bag. "Or do I?" Dustin loses his shit. He starts to jump around, screaming her name. Lucas looks at me quizzically. "Well that doesn't mean you found her. You could've found her dead body and just taken that off" he argues. "You're right I could've but if I found El dead, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be smiling right, I wouldn't even be at school." Dustin momentarily pauses his jumping to look at Lucas and say "he's right you know." I smile and tell them to all come to my house after school so they can see her again.

    Then I look at Will who's been quietly staring at the ground this whole time. As the bell rings and we all head inside, I whisper in his ear "Don't worry, you'll love her and she'll love you." He smiles at me and we go to class.