Chapter the Fourth

Third Person

"We're going to a party."

"Nope." Mike immediately said, not even looking up from his french textbook.

"Dude please I need this, I need to get Max out of my system and meet someone new. Seeing her every day, completely clueless of how much I care about her is just killing me man. I, I can't take it anymore. Please, I'm going to explode. I already convinced Dustin and Max. It's just you and Will now."

Mike knew Lucas was trying to guilt trip him but he didn't care. It worked. Mike was, after all, a hopeless romantic and while he didn't necessary care who, he did want to see his friends happy and solve this whole Max debacle. So he agreed and Lucas squealed like an 11-year-old girl, running off to the art room.

And that's how Mike ended up here. A packed house, filled with sweaty, drunk teenagers trying to momentarily forget their misery and insignificance by heavily flirting and hooking up with the opposite, or the same, sex.

Of course, the whole "reason to come" thing was a bust. Lucas and Dustin were no where near getting over Max. You see, she had decided go big or go home so she ended up wearing a very low-cut, short dress that clung to her body with jewelry, makeup, the whole thing. It was definitely not very maxish but she was a showstopper, easily the prettiest girl there. And it was problematic for everyone, even Will and Mike. They were spending the entire time watching her, worried about how she was inappropriately clad and watching to make sure no guy tried to force her into a bedroom with him, which has already happened about 7 times.

And of course, when they came by to pick her up and she walked out of her house, both Lucas and Dustin looked like their IQ had dropped 25 points. They all watched her walk to the car, a mixture of worry and amazement in Will and Mike's eyes and the look of love and pure teenage boy in Dustin and Lucas's. And of course she was oblivious as she squished herself into the car, looking at the guys with a sort of excitement.

"Max, don't you think that dress is a tad inappropriate?" Mike had asked.

"Oh please, calm down dad, it's fine. I think I look good." Dustin and Lucas only nodded dumbly in response and Will let out a long-winded "Okaaaaaay."

And now Dustin and Lucas were following her around like lost puppies. Sometimes even their gaze dropped to places that would earn a punch in the face for anyone else looking there. They were both dumbstruck and any chance they had at moving on flew right out the window the second Max decided she didn't have to wear pants and she showed her apparently rather nice legs to the world.

At one point Mike got tired of being Max's living rape whistle so he called to Will to cover him. Will nodded and he began to walk around the house. Every where he went he just saw teenagers kissing and dancing and drinking away their future. And every where he went to crowd parted for him, giving him the chance to pass as they stared in wonder.

"Is that....Mike Wheeler?"

"Oh my god, thats Mike. Hot Mike."

"Mike looks so good. I mean, he always looks good but like, even better."

"What is Mike Wheeler doing at a high school house party?"

Mike somehow managed not to hear any of these things. He made his way outside, sitting on a bench and taking in a breath of fresh air. He started to question himself. What was he doing? He was at a high school party. He was a middle man in twisted love triangle that had taken over his entire life. He was protecting a girl who probably could kill a guy with her bare hands. And the one person he loved more than anything was probably dead right now, her body zipped up in a cold body bag thrown in some white, tiled room.

He saw that he was beginning to spiral so her decided to take advantage of the fact he was at a high school party and go inside to get a drink. As he walked in he saw Will talking to some guy on the couch. He rolled his eyes and mentally scolded his friend for giving up his post but it had only been about 30 minutes and Max could handle herself. Or so he thought.

As Mike walked through a hallway he saw a large crowd of people, mainly guys cheering something on. Curious, Mike pushed to the front. And there he saw something he will never want to see again.

Max, impossibly drunk and completely disheveled, dress coming down in places it shouldn't at the top and coming up in places it shouldn't at the bottom. And slightly tipsy Lucas was also there, grinning from ear to ear. And they were kissing. Like hardcore kissing. Like Max getting catcalled from the literal audience kissing.

Mike ran forward, shoving Lucas off.

"WHAT THE HELL?" Mike roared, steam coming out of his ears.

"Isn't it great? She's totally into me now like this, it's awesome!" Lucas exclaimed, gesturing at the half naked and completely hammered Max behind him.

"YOU FUCKING SON OF A BITCH, THIS IS OUR FRIEND AND YOU GOT HER DRUNK JUST SO YOU COULD TRY TO FUCK HER, YOU COMPLETE ASSHOLE." And without thinking, Mike leaned back and punched Lucas in the face. By now a bigger crowd had formed and in the front was Will who looked like might be crying.

"Lucas..." He trailed off, dismayed.

"Oh Lucas, what the fuck did you just do?"