Chapter Two

"Wow." Ariella's wide eyes sucked in the colorful halls of Crestview High. Students parked at their lockers and strolled down the halls showcasing their individual styles like fashion spreads. It felt like she was walking inside a living, breathing teen magazine. Her fingers itched to cut out clippings of her favorite looks and tape them into her fashion scrapbook, but her new schoolmates probably wouldn't have appreciated that kind of flattery. "This place is brimming with inspiration for my new line."

A girl strutted by with attitude in her funky orange pumps. "Cute," Ariella and Mae chorused.

Ariella nodded approvingly at a boy's layered cardigan ensemble and swooped hair. "Nice."

Suddenly, her shoes screeched to a halt in horror. "Yikes!"

A white denim arts and crafts project swaggered down the hall. And it was heading straight for them! The boy wearing the tragic outfit smiled as he stopped in front of them, blocking their way of escape and eye relief. "What's happening, ladies. The names..." He hopped a 180 sending the rainbow of fringes on his jacket and jeans swinging. Blinking lights on his back spelled "Caleb." He hopped back around. "Class hottie."

Ariella's eyes painfully rose from his pale green newspaper print shoes, past his fingerprint covered tee, and up to his wide grin. Clearly, she was missing something. "Was there some costume theme we weren't told about?"

Caleb's smile buckled. He looked over his shoulder then shook his head on sight of a guy down the hall who was also wearing something off, but still not as off-full as Caleb. "Nah. He's been dressing like that since junior high. No sense of style. Now if you'll excuse me. I have some more flaunting to do. Later."

Ariella blinked a few times. Then a few more times much harder. "Why won't that image get out of my head?"

Traveling further down the hall, she and Mae met a girl standing by the auditorium handing out pink flyers to the people walking by. She wore a crowned bow in her hair that matched well with her blush, tie collared blouse and high waisted khaki shorts. A much better choice than the fashion crime Ariella just witnessed.

"School talent show this Friday." The girl offered them both flyers. "Be there or be a loser. Easy choice."

"Maybe you should be in the talent show, Ariella," Mae said.

The girl snatched the flyers back. "I'm sorry. The line-up is already full."

Unless school started a month earlier without Ariella's knowledge, there was no way students had signed up already. "How could it be full? It's only the first day."

Miss Bow Peep tossed her hair, sending a waft of apple blossom Ariella's way. "Not for me. I'm a sophomore. You newbie, me—"

"Oldie?" Mae filled in the blank. The sophomore struggled to hold her composure. "I was going to say upperclassman. Obviously, you don't know the rules here."

"What rules?" This was not in the student manual. At least Ariella didn't think so. She should really start reading those.

"No newbies allowed." The sophomore put on a sweet smile and handed back the flyers. "But do enjoy the show."

Mae read it over. The wrinkles in her forehead etched deeper and deeper after every line. "No wonder the schedule is full. Someone named Torin took up all the slots."

Ariella skimmed through it herself. Now it all made sense. She had more skills than So You Think You've Got Talent. "Let me guess. You're Torin?"

"Good guess." Torin was starting to look bored as she inspected her multi-colored pastel nails. Ariella wondered if she would find human skin underneath them. This girl was clearly not a people person.

"Juggling act?" Mae asked. "So you are a clown. That explains the shoes." Torin scowled then stomped away in her cute but loud polka dot sandal wedges.

"So are you doing the talent show?" Mae asked as they arrived at their lockers.

Ariella dialed in the combo to her brand new home. "You heard Torin. No open auditions." The lock clicked open and a blank canvas sat before her just waiting to be decorated. She couldn't wait to fill it up with photos, inspirational quotes, DIY school supplies, a string of lights, an extra supply of clothes and shoes just in case. A really cute memo board with a pocket to hold her metallic markers. Oh and textbooks too. She had a tough time deciding on cheetah print versus tiger striped wallpaper, but the three-way mirror was nonnegotiable.

"What's one more act going to hurt?" Mae gasped. "You should do a fashion show! You've always wanted to show off your designs. This could be your big chance."

Ariella's fingers hung limply on her locker door. Obviously, Mae wasn't getting the hint. She was kind of relieved the talent show was booked up. Otherwise, she would have to face one of her greatest fears. "What if no one likes them?"

"They're going to love them. I do." Mae poked her chin and pondered. "Except for that one skirt that made your hips look really wide."

You have to love a sugarcoated free best friend. "You know that rare condition where you can never tell a lie. I think I found a cure."

"What?" Mae waited curiously.

"Keep certain things to yourself."

"You have to believe in yourself more. Do you think Karly Queen, supermodel/editor-in-chief of the biggest fashion magazine worldwide doubts her crown? Ariella Starr Clarke is a star. It's in your name."

Great speech, but there was one major component that star had that this Starr didn't. "Karly has millions of fans. I have..."

"Me."

Ariella arched a doubting brow. "Apparently, even that's questionable." Her mind was made up. Maybe she could be in next year's talent show. Now just wasn't the right time. "I don't think my designs are ready for that kind of exposure yet. If I want to draw in a crowd, I'm going to have to do it the old-fashioned way. Be my own billboard." She struck her signature pose: one arm up, one arm down, and her chin lifted in the air. Her eyes batted around the hall as she waited for an audience to stand in awe. Instead, everyone continued on their way without a glance in her direction.

Mae gave her a supportive pat on the shoulder. "Work on it."

***

Thanks for reading! Who's your favorite character so far? Let me know in the comments:)

-Love, Charly