Chapter Seven

Despite her urge to want to just give up already, Ariella knew she couldn't back out now. She and her friends had put way too much effort into this day for her to quit. Even if their whole operation was crashing down on top of them quicker than Caleb in those shoes.

She hustled to the science classroom carrying a solar system mobile made from two masking taped hula hoops, colored cotton balls, and thread. One glance would tell it only took her ten minutes to make, and that included collecting all the materials. Hers was the last project of the day, which meant this catastrophe was thankfully almost over. She peeked through the door's window to see how Mae was doing.

"And that's why lawn maintenance is crucial for suburban home sellers." Mae looked up from her tablet and found her guests sleeping. Ren snuggled up on her snoring mother's lap while her dad's head hung over the back of his chair. His mouth was so wide a frog could fit in there, and he would have plenty to swim in. Ariella poked her head in the doorway and gave Mae a thumbs up.

"The end." Mae switched off the television and met Ariella at the door. "Make it quick," she whispered. The door slammed and the Clarkes jerked awake.

"Mom! Dad! Sis! So glad you could make it tonight. Well, here's my project." Ariella carefully sat the solar system on a lab table like it was a batch of cookies about to fall apart. "Have fun." She made a run for it.

"Wait." Her dad called out . "Aren't you going to show us how it works?"

Ariella spun back around. "Right. How it works." She moved behind the table, picked the mobile up, and studied it, not really knowing what she was expected to do with it. She flicked one of the cotton balls, sending it swinging.

Ren looked at it funny. "Why is Earth rocking?"

"That's what will happen if everyone continues to blast their loud music." Ariella shook her head. "Kids these days will lose their hearing before thirty."

Her mom pointed to the second largest cotton ball with the botched paint job. "Is that my hair scrunchie?"

Ariella placed a hand to her heart. "It's an homage to my parents who taught me everything I know. Any more questions? No? Kay, bye!"

"Let me get pictures." Her dad pulled out his digital camera, which he conveniently didn't forget at home.

"Lovely." Ariella smiled with clenched teeth as her mom and Ren crowded around her for the shot.

***

Caleb smiled sheepishly at the crowd as he teetered down the catwalk for yet another round. He felt like an idiot walking back and forth, and he wanted out of those clothes. The fabric of the dress may have felt soft against his skin, but it was uncomfortably freeing. The price he paid for friendship.

When he reached the edge, he spun around a little too hard and his wig flopped onto the catwalk. He swept it up, plopped it back on, and shuffled to the wings where Mae was anxiously waiting.

"She's not back yet," Mae yelled over the music.

Caleb huffed. There was no way he was going back out there. "These shoes are making my feet swell." He pointed to his chafing foot for emphasis.

"Welcome to my world." Mae pushed him back to the stage.

Caleb tripped then smiled it off before moving down the runway for what would hopefully be the last time, waving awkwardly and trying really hard not to tear up.

Danny rolled his eyes, completely jaded by the situation. "It's Calebra again. Wearing the same dress I just described five times already. Where's a Snap-A-Leash when you need one, huh?" He chuckled, getting laughs from the crowd.

Yeah, Caleb thought. Make fun of the guy with the swollen feet.

***

Ariella's cheesing cheeks ached as she posed with her entire family behind her pathetic project while her dad snapped a selfie. Or ten.

All of a sudden, a cluster of shutter noises sounded off out of nowhere. Her dad curiously checked his camera for malfunctioning.

Ariella waved her phone. "It's me. This will only take a second." She kept her smile intact even as she entered the hall so her parents wouldn't suspect that something was wrong. Correction. That everything was wrong. She answered the call. "Mae?"

"What's taking so long?" Ariella could hear the loud thumping music in the background. "People are starting to leave. And Calebra is getting pretty snippy. You have to get down here."

"I'm on my way." Ariella hung up, reeled around, and shrieked when she saw Ren staring back at her. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to know that this science fair is a decoy and that you're in desperate need of a diversion to get back to whatever you're hiding from mom and dad."

Woah. There was no way she got all that from that one phone call. "How did you know that?"

Ren's eyes bounced up and down Ariella's outfit. "No one gets that dressed up for science."

Ariella slowly looked down at her super cute outfit. The lab coat. She knew she forgot something!

"Leave everything to me." Ren led the way back to the classroom. "Mom! Dad! There's been a meteor shower sighting. Let's go check it out!"

"We don't want to run off during Ariella's presentation," her dad said, his fingers fiddling with his camera. Meteor showers were his favorite.

"It's okay," Ariella insisted. "I'll meet up with you guys."

"All right, let's go," her mom said, but Ren was already dragging them out the door.

"Thanks," Ariella mouthed. Ren smiled then led her parents down a deserted hall. Once they rounded the corner, Ariella fled to the auditorium. It was almost her time to shine.

***

Tsk, tsk, Ariella. Lurking behind a wall, Torin stepped out into the hall smirking. Thanks to her superb eavesdropping skills she had overheard everything her and baby Einstein said, and she couldn't wait to use it to her advantage. She knew Ariella was up to something so she followed her to find out what that something was. She never expected it to be this juicy. Torin was supposed to be the star of this show. Who did she think she was shoving her way into her spotlight? Ariella wanted to make her mark, well, Torin would make sure she went down in history. Her arms folded as a spectacular plan unfolded in her head. Oh, she was definitely going down.

Before Ariella's happy little family could exit the building, Torin blocked their path. "Leaving so soon?"

***

Uh, oh! Stay tuned to see what Torin has planned!

-Love, Charly