Chapter Eight

In the wings just offstage, Mae stuck out her head to beckon Caleb. "Pst. Pst!" Once she got Caleb's attention she waved for him to get off the stage.

Caleb released a hefty sigh of relief. He took a bow, making sure to hold onto his hair this time, and took off backstage.

"Give it up for Calebra." Danny led the audience in a round of applause. "Who finally realized that this is not the Calebra show."

Caleb kicked off his shoes. "Is she ready?"

"Am I?" Ariella appeared striking a pose. Her royal blue sequined blazer shimmered over her black sleeveless peplum blouse, and her black and white striped faux leather pants fit like gloves. The start of the show may have been a disaster, but this look made her feel like...a Starr.

Mae beamed. "You look amazing."

"Thanks." Ariella readjusted the pink rose pinned to her blazer. "I hope everyone else will think so too."

"Don't worry," Caleb told her. "If I like it, everyone will like it."

Highly doubt that, Ariella thought. Still, she slapped on a smile to show her appreciation. "That makes me feel much better." She faced the stage and took a breath, ready to conquer the catwalk. "It's time to wow the crowd."

"Hey, Ariella. Catch." Torin flung Ariella's solar system mobile across the room. Stunned, Ariella watched in slow motion as it sailed through the air, it's cotton ball planets hanging on for dear life. The hula hoops caught her by the shoulders and she stumbled onto the stage.

Danny's eyes widened. "Wow."

Mortified, Ariella stared out at the dropped jaws scattered before her. She wanted to run and hide, but when she looked backstage she saw Mae and Caleb nodding, prompting her to go on. "Confidence makes everything work", she remembered Caleb saying. So she was going to make it work for her.

She gathered the courage to put on a smile and strutted down the runway like the planets were In that season. A smile on her face, she moved her shoulders and the cotton balls swung to the beat. The crowd cheered her on and camera flashes blinked around the auditorium. They were loving it. Loving her. It felt out of this world.

For the golden shot at the end of the catwalk, she placed her hands on her hips and lifted her chin. The force of the applause could have literally blown her away. She couldn't believe it. She'd done it.

At the back of the auditorium, the door crept open. Ariella froze like a statue and her smile melted off as her family filed in. The shadows weren't enough to hide them from view, but she wished she couldn't see them at all. The sad looks on her parents' face were devastating. The show was over. And so was her life. She turned away and flew off the stage.

"Okaaay..." Danny tossed the cards behind him. "That's it for tonight. I was your host Danny Lockhart, and you can find me in a sales ad near you." Wink.

Backstage, Caleb and Mae were helping Ariella out of her hula hoops when Danny walked in. "Ariella, are you okay?"

"I have never been so humiliated." Ariella slipped out of the hoops and swatted a rouge Pluto from her hair. "My life is ruined. Everyone probably thinks I'm a freak."

Caleb wrapped Neptune and Mars around his pointer finger then admired his new ring. "Freak is in the eye of the beholder."

"I behold that you're not helping," Mae deadpanned.

Torin smugly sauntered in looking pleased with herself. "Nice outfit, Ariella. I bet the science geeks are raving."

Ariella straightened her blazer. "You got what you wanted. My dreams are over. Do you have to rub it in?"