Chapter Five

Ariella paced backstage of the auditorium, her head throbbing. She weaved between stage crew members who moved back and forth to make sure everything was in place. She could hear the crowd murmuring and the chairs creaking as the audience took their seats. The show was about to start any moment. "This is a nightmare. My models still aren't here yet, my parents are definitely going to figure out that the science fair is a fake, and my Teen Dream is so not antiperspirant. There's no way we're going to be able to pull this off."

Mae grabbed Ariella by the shoulders and shook her. "Ariella, breathe. Your models are probably on their way, Caleb's all set in the science lab, and your clothes look better than ever. Calm down."

Ariella breathed in, catching a whiff of her Tropical Beach Blend balm, then blew out. She had to pull herself together. Hyperventilating wasn't going to solve anything. The only way she was going to get through this was if she kept her composure.

"Are you calm?"

Ariella hesitantly nodded. "I think so."

"Good. Now it's my turn." Mae let go of Ariella and began pacing where Ariella left off. NOT helping!

Just then, Danny entered backstage. "Danny!" Ariella was surprised to see him there and even more pleasantly surprised to see him in a navy blue suit. Very nice. "Are you in the show too?"

Danny laughed while straightening his cuffs. "What, are you crazy? My head is way too valuable. I'm the host. Something else to put on my resume." He winked.

"Danny, you're on," the stage manager called from the wings.

"Have fun out there." Danny gripped Ariella's shoulder. "You're a brave girl." He walked out onto the stage, welcomed by a roaring crowd.

Ariella's heart ricocheted against her chest like a ping pong ball. The auditorium sounded packed. She imagined the dozens of faces out there picking apart her designs stitch by stitch with their unforgiving eyes, harshly pointing out her flaws. This was all too much, too fast. Why didn't she just back out when she had the chance. She wasn't ready for this.

"Step back, losers." Brandishing three silver juggling clubs, Torin walked in wearing a glamorous, violet ringmaster's outfit adorned with a tiny top hat angled to one side of her head. She looked spectacular and fearless, like she wasn't afraid of anything. Not even the tiger it looked like she was about to tame. She dove into leg lunges with her clubs high in the air. "The people are waiting for me. Emphasis on me." She glared at Ariella.

"Give it up for Torin the Extraordinaire!" Danny's voice boomed backstage.

"Break a leg," Mae said.

"Don't tempt me," Torin singsonged as she sashayed onto the stage smiling for the people.

She stood in the center of the spotlight, basking in the cheers. Then she looked over to stage left. "Hit it." A circusy EDM beat throbbed to life and Torin began her juggling act. After she performed a variety of impressive tricks, one of which involved chin balancing, she caught all three clubs and curtsied. The applause was deafening. She tossed her clubs offstage and wagged her finger. That was only the beginning. A baton flew from the wings landing perfectly in her hands, and she jumped right into her tap dancing routine.

***

In the science room, Caleb watched the clock on the wall. They would be there any second...

Right on time, the door opened and the Clarke family entered. It was showtime. Caleb clapped his hands together. "Hello and welcome to the Crestview Science Fair."

Mrs. Clarke looked around the vacant room. Rows of empty blacktop lab tables stood in the middle of the room surrounded by counters and cabinets holding microscopes and a clutter of vials and beacons. There was a safety case of goggles and gloves in the back and sciency posters hung on the walls that distracted Caleb during class when he should have been paying attention to the teacher's important instructions. The only thing missing were the other students. And the teacher. And everything else that made up a science fair. It was "fair" to say, this was not what the Clarke's were expecting. "Where is everyone?"