First Change

That night, Echo sat in a spare bedroom in the institute. The bed underneath her was cleanly made and the sweats she wore were soft. Despite the luxury items that Alec had provided her, she couldn't sleep, or even relax for that matter. Her room was down the hall from Clary and she kept glancing at the door.

She absentmindedly twirled her Stele in her hands as she thought of random memories. But when she would try and remember a specific event that took place, she couldn't. There was something about the memory that was distant and unobtainable.

Echo pushed the dormant memory away and thought about the last time she had slept. She remembered waking up on Clary's birthday in the institute, but she knew that she didn't sleep well. Echo counted on her hands; Thirty-eight hours. She hadn't slept in thirty-eight hours. But she didn't feel tired, she just felt lethargic.

Echo stood up and dropped the Stele onto her bed. She walked up to the mirror, expecting to see the same features she had all her life, but Echo had to suppress a gasp. Her once fiery, almost orange hair had darkened. Her hair was now the colour of a used penny. The shade wasn't that far off from before, but it was a noticeable difference. She examined her features further and noticed the rune that was previously on her shoulder was now smooth and bare. The rune had disappeared.

She looked down at her arm, but the rune opposite her healing rune was still present. Her skin looked pale against the dark rune and almost had a tinge of green. She looked into the mirror; her cheekbones and collarbone were slightly more prominent than they were yesterday. Her once emerald green eyes were now a shade darker and her skin looked clearer.

Echo, turned on her shoe and walked out of her room and down the hall. When she entered the control area, Alec looked up and noticed the slight changes in her appearance. His eyes went wide and he dropped the tablet. He strode over to her, but didn't touch her.

"Are you okay? You look..." He didn't know what word to use.

"Sickly? Pallid?" Echo folded her arms.

"Different. I was going to say different."

Echo sighed, "The rune disappeared again." She said momentarily looking down at her shoulder.

Alec looked and sighed, "We'll figure this out," His gaze shifted behind Echo.

Echo turned and saw Simon and Clary rushing down the steps and past them.

Echo held a hand out, "Wait, where are you going?"

Simon didn't acknowledge her as Clary hurried past Echo and grabbed ahold of Simon. Echo rolled her eyes and gave a heavy sigh; she didn't want to bother with Simon and Clary anymore.

Echo rubbed a hand across her face and through her hair; Alec pulled out his Stele and placed it over her shoulder.

"Hold still."

The rune, this time, had no effect on Echo. She couldn't feel the burn or the power; she just felt pressure.

Alec finished the rune and looked at her, really looked at her, "When was the last time you slept?"

Echo shook her head, "A few hours ago."

Alec saw past her lie; Echo threw her hands up, "Fine, when I woke up next to Clary in the Institute.

Alec folded his arms, "That was almost two day's ago."

Echo waved her hand, "Whatever, I'm fine." Echo sat down on the chair that was near her and Alec sat next to her; Clary, Isabelle, Jace and even Hodge soon accompanied them.

Hodge had a tablet in his hand and was showing pictures of a man. Echo had been so caught up in her past throughout the past day and a half that she had almost forgotten that they figured out that it was the Warlock, Magnus Bane, who had taken both Clary's and Echo's memories, of course Echo knew this.