Twenty-Two

Alec stood in the training room with a mass of weapons in front of him.
"Alec, none of this is going to help if we can't locate her." Jace came up the training room steps with Clary at his side. Clary had already given Alec a lecture on how this wasn't his fault, but Alec was defiant.

Alec looked up from the weapons, "It didn't work?"

Clary shook her head, "No. We couldn't find anything with a strong enough connection to her."

Alec was suddenly walking out of the training room and down the hall. The picture. Alec walked into Echo's room with Clary and Jace behind him. Alec was rummaging though the drawers.

"Alec, we already--"

Alec pulled the picture from under a pile of clothes and held it out, "Echo said when she found this she felt a connection to it. She didn't know who was in the picture at the time."

Clary took the picture from Alec's hand and looked at the people.

"That's my mom and Valentine. But who's the boy next to Echo?"

Alec sighed and leaned against the wall, "That's your brother, Jonathan. Jonathan is Echo's twin."

Clary looked up from the picture, "What? How do you know this?"

Alec rubbed his eyes, "Echo told me when she remembered."

Clary was about to say something, but Alec stopped her, "Just," Alec sighed, "Try tracking her with that."

Clary bit her lip and followed Jace out of the room. Alec stood in the vacant room, suddenly feeling lost and alone. There was something about Echo that made Alec love her. Alec pushed himself off of the wall and hurried into his room.

He pulled off his shirt and changed into fresh clothes. He ran a hand through his hair and gave a slow sigh. His heartbeat had been rapid and unchanging since Echo had been kidnapped. He was surprised that he hadn't passed out yet. Alec hastily made his way into the control room giving Clary a hopeful look.

But when Clary caught his gaze, she gave a slow shake of her head. Alec set his teeth and fisted his hands.

"There has to be a way, someway for us to track Echo or Valentine."

Clary set a hand on Alec's shoulder, "There is a way, we just haven't found it yet. Jace and I will go out and talk to the Downworlders, maybe they know something we don't."

Alec shrugged Clary's hand off and gave her a sloppy nod.

"I've never seen you this way." Isabelle had come up behind Alec as Clary and Jace retreated.

Alec turned to face his sister, sudden emotion swept over his face, "There is something about Echo, there has been since the moment I met her."

Alec's voice was soft, "I had this feeling like I needed to protect her, keep her safe and I failed. Valentine has her and it is all my fault."

Isabelle gripped her brother's arms, "Hey, this isn't your fault. This is Valentine's. If you have to blame anybody blame Valentine."

Alec looked out at the screens, every one of them had Echo's name typed across the top and locator algorithms had been put into the system.

Alec shook his head and sat on a nearby chair with his head in his hands. He kept reliving the look on Echo's face when she realized that she had almost killed Jace and Alec. Alec wanted so badly to tell her that it wasn't her fault, and that everything was going to be okay. But that moment was gone and terror had set in.